Tips on topping up water quickly

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Although trained to handle most questions, often using a flow chart to drill down the answer, the personnel that manage support forums/lines are not product experts. It does not surprise me that they would not know the specifics of the chemicals and the chemical interactions. Even if they were experts and knew the answer, it would not surprise me that they would not divulge product sensitive trade secrets to a hobbyist or an industrial spy.

I believe that I read somewhere that Colonel Sanders had the only copy of the secret recipe for the 11 herbs and spices locked in a safe! None of the bizillion KFC rank and file employees ever knew the recipe!
------

In my recent use of Prime I have added it to my tank(s) that are loaded with fry, many newly born, and they seem totally unaffected in any way.
I'll confess that I don't know what's in it, and I understand osmosis, but it seems pretty harmless just as adding modest plant ferts seems fairly harmless.
------
I hear you Colin, but I have read threads in forums where many hobbyists add dechlor to the tank and refill from the tap as I described (some for years and years) with no reported incidents of failure.

Colonel Sanders secret herbs use to have pepper and cocaine, now it has something else. Coca Cola had cocaine in too, must have been the thing to do back in the day. Snuff boxes had cocaine and tobacco too if I recall. Ah man, our ancestors were drug addicts, mind you if there's no TV then watching pink elephants and yellow dogs is probably the next best thing.

---------------------
I know heaps of people that fill their tanks with tap water and some have gotten away with it for years. Others got caught out and lost fish. I use to do water changes that way, drain a tank and stick a hose in it and double doses with dechlorinator (sodium thiosulphate). I did this for years without any issues then one day the water corp did work in the area and loaded the water with chlorine to kill anything that might have gotten into the pipes. I did a water change and wiped out hundreds of fish. I have also seen it happen in shops and at friend's places. It is more likely to happen in warm weather when the water companies increase the chlorine levels to compensate for bacteria growth in warmer water but it can happen any time of year.

Personally I think it is too much of a risk to do and having water aerating and dechlorinating in holding containers for a bit before using it, is a much safer option and doesn't take much more time. :)

I filled directly from the tap for many years as AD described with no issues. Now I use filtered water which I store in 25 litre jerry cans. I have not been able to find a pump small enough to go inside the containers and do not have the space for holding tanks. So my low tech solution is this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0058OA27O/?tag=. Two pieces of wood across the tank and its good to go. Only downside is I have to lift the jerry cans up onto the tank.

For draining the tank I just use an old pump connected to a hose and pump into the garden.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You don't want to fill an aquarium containing fish directly from the tap because the fish can be chlorinated before the dechlorinator has time to remove the chlorine/ chloramine from the water.
I agree with Colin, There is no way I would add untreated tap water to my tank.

I use drums to pre treat and pre heat the water, Even on my 400 liter tank and I change 300 liters of water a week in that.

Most reactions

Back