Tips on seeding / cycling tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zain611

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So wanted to ask for any tips on seeding or cycling a tank. I have a aquastart 320 (28L) which has been set up for 5 years and might upgrade to a aquastyle 620T (130L). I was thinking I could cut half the filter sponge from the tank and put it in the new one. I have an extra sponge so could cut that and put it in the old filter and let that establish bacteria or just squeeze the whole extra sponge in the filter now so it's got healthy bacteria in it.

How long would it take to cycle a new tank by seeding it?

Squeezing the filter into the new filter is not worth much; bacteria are sticky and adhere to surfaces, and adhere very well. Use the entire filter sponge/media in the new filter if you can. You can replace the filter in the existing tank; there are bacteria in the substrate and this should not cause an issue. If you have live plants, definitely no issue as they will easily handle the ammonia. You could use a bacterial supplement as a precautionary measure.

As for how long, that depends upon the biology. You need a source of ammonia, and the bacteria once established will multiply according to the available food (ammonia, then nitrite).

As for how long, that depends upon the biology. You need a source of ammonia, and the bacteria once established will multiply according to the available food (ammonia, then nitrite).
That's important. Even if you move all your media on day 1 the filter will only be able to support the bioload it has been dealing with in the old tank. If you want to use the normal fishless cycle route it will still need to be cycled, it will just go much much quicker.

Thanks guys, could I use seachem stability? I think I might go for it just to kick start the cycle.

Thanks guys, could I use seachem stability? I think I might go for it just to kick start the cycle.

I have twice used Stability and I must assume it did the job as there was no ammonia or nitrite tested.

Thanks Byron. The plan is next month cabinet's are going to come for my room and soon will empty the room, plaster it etc. Might buy the tank with the cabinet or get a made to measure one or just change the doors on the factory cabinet to match the cabinets. This will hopefully happen next month so I'm thinking till then could I just squeeze the extra new sponge I have into the filter so for that month it will have some beneficial bacteria in it? I think I might go ahead with the stability as well. Thanks for your view on it :)

Okay so to update I bought the tank and really happy with it :D . One thing I'm wondering is could I get the filter media from the new tank and put it next to my current filter or anywhere in my current tank? Not planning on setting up the new tank until next month so thinking during that time could just let bacteria grow on the sponges so I could then transfer it in the new tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back