Tips For Adding Angels To Tank With Existing Angels

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tez2k007

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Was thinking off adding a few more Angels to my tank which already holds 2 Angels which have paired together. Any tips for adding new Angels. The current 2 are fully grown. Should I add larger Angels are get them quite young?

If yours are fully grown already it might be a bit of a concern to add more to an established territory. I haven't added more in mine accept when everyone is an adolescent. You may or may not have any problems but if you are going to add more, make sure you add them as a pair (try to find a pairing at the store) and I'd say make sure they are equal size.

If yours are fully grown already it might be a bit of a concern to add more to an established territory. I haven't added more in mine accept when everyone is an adolescent. You may or may not have any problems but if you are going to add more, make sure you add them as a pair (try to find a pairing at the store) and I'd say make sure they are equal size.

Would it not be better to add a young small pair so the other angels would not really pay much attention to them?

If a child moved in to your house as opposed to an adult would you notice it or pay attention to the newcomber any less?

I can't tell you my thought is right or wrong because I don't know about adult angels and trying to introduce more but the logic to me would be that Angels being cichlids may take offense to any new introductions no matter small or comparable size. It would seem to me that anything similarly sized may be less likely to be bullied as the new fish will at least be able to stick up for themselves.

=)

If a child moved in to your house as opposed to an adult would you notice it or pay attention to the newcomber any less?

I can't tell you my thought is right or wrong because I don't know about adult angels and trying to introduce more but the logic to me would be that Angels being cichlids may take offense to any new introductions no matter small or comparable size. It would seem to me that anything similarly sized may be less likely to be bullied as the new fish will at least be able to stick up for themselves.

=)
I added two more adult angels to my original two adults, roughly the same size. Both pairs had a problem before I got them with one attacking the other when they were alone but once there were four of them in one tank they were fine and got on surprisingly well. In fact the bullying stopped, though if one was ever in a bad mood it would pick a fight with its original partner!Mind you my original two were not a couple, thet hated each other. Might be different if you introduce more angels to a mated pair who consider the entire tank their territory.

It may possibly work if you remove the angels you already have, move everything in the tank around so the 2 angels think it's a different tank, put the 2 new angels in and then re-add the 2 old angels...
That way they all have equal chances to create their own new territory :)

I've been experimenting adding angels to an established pair in my 60 gallon. Existing pair is accepting angels half their size. Right now I have 6 angels with the idea of getting rid of some when a second pair reveals itself. All seems to be okay. Is your tank planted and does it have places for angels to separate? Also with a 100 gallon tank seems like you could easily add 2-3 more. But as with all cichlids, sort of depends on the individual. It is worth a try. Change the aquascape when you add just to disturb established territories.

Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back