Tiny Terry - Cherry Barb Bully Boy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

minkymaid

Reaction score
staring at my fish in Lichfield, Staffs UK
Hiya!
Any one got any experience of aggressive cherry barbs? I have 2 males and 2 females in with danios and corys. One of my males has turned into a tiny terror. I've only had them about 6 weeks but he has taken over the tank (all 96 ltrs of it!). Not content with bullying the other 3 cherry barbs so that he 'owns' 7/8ths of the tank he has now turned his attention onto the corys, chasing and nipping them out of 'his' tank and pining them into a corner. Obviously he hadn't read the books that say they're peaceful with other fish!
Has anyone got any ideas on how to curb this nasty behaviour or have i got a rogue fish? I'm now having to consider buying another tank to house him because he's making life so miserable for everyone else!
best wishes
Minkymaid

Hi,

Cherry barbs are best kept 1 male to a group of females as males can often be territorial, either rehome him and swap him for a female or get a bigger group of females so each male has his own little harem.

Emma :)

Mmm.. it does sound like he's got a personality problem! Thanks guys. I think I'll have to take him out into his own little world. Have you had any experiences of them bullying corys? If i create a tank for him are there any species that you think I could put in with him safely? How small a tank do you think I could manage? I was thinking of a 15 l biorb, the new one. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Minkymaid

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back