Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tiny Filter - Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Tropical Discussion' started by sumocopter, Feb 10, 2013.

1. sumocopter

sumocopter Member

Hi folks,

The filter in my little shrimp tank died a while ago.  I've just kinda left it, doing weekly water changes and thinking 'well it's only shrimp, they're not much bioload anyway.'  Now I'd like to be a bit kinder to my shrimp and I am considering putting 3 scarlet badis in the tank for a bit of fishy movement.

The tank is a 19l (I think) triangle.  Previously the tank had a Rena Superclean 40 which did the job but the flow was a bit on the high side and buffetted the shrimp about.  It also took up some space in an already tiny tank.  To make life even more interesting the tank is in a bedroom and thus needs to be as quiet as possible.  I have considered a HOB but the tank has a raised plastic part over the top of the tank glass and I can't find any of these of a suitable size, they're all too long!

Does anyone have any advice about the filter possibilities?  I'm not averse to a bit of DIY when it comes to either the filter or the tank.

Cheers for your help!

2. leighton_87

leighton_87 Member

Try googling DIY sponge filter - perfect for shrimp tanks as nowhere for the shrimp to get sucked in and can be made as small as you want.

If you need further information try posting in the DIY section of the forum as I'm certainly no expert on how you'd actually do one.

3. sumocopter

sumocopter Member

I've got a couple of sponge filters going in another tank.  A little noisy for the bedroom....

4. aly_starh

aly_starh Winner - Pet Of The Month

I would highly recommend a DIY sponge filter, very easy to make and does the job! If you are worried about the noise, just shop around for a ‘silent’ pump. :)

5. sumocopter

sumocopter Member

Ok so I tried a sponge filter last night and I'm getting a bit of grief about the noise of the bubbles! Anyone got any other ideas?

6. phantomlink

phantomlink Member

besides for sponge filters, the smallest filter I can think of is an AquaClear 20, I had 3 110's and when I bought a 20 I laughed at how small the little thing is, it should suit your 5.5g tank fine

7. CezzaXV

CezzaXV Member

8. phantomlink

phantomlink Member

Internal are quieter, but hold so much less media, at least my Fluval U2 did I was glad when I stopped using it but it was so expensive

They also take up room that filter might only be 3cm/4cm/10cm but thats still a nice chunk out of a 20l tank

9. sumocopter

sumocopter Member

Is the Aquaclear 20 available in the UK? I can't find it :(

10. phantomlink

phantomlink Member

for some reason they have the powerhead and all the filter media parts, but no filter on Amazon.co.uk  I dunno what stores you have but I dont know why I cant find it in Europe either

11. eaglesaquarium

eaglesaquarium Life, Liberty and the pursuit of the perfect fish

ear plugs.

12. r.w.girard

r.w.girard Member

DIY canister? The one I made failed miserably... water everywhere.  But it should be silent.  I know there are instructions on this forum in the DIY section. Or else hit google/youtube [not that there is a difference these days...].

13. eaglesaquarium

A small powerhead with a SPONGE over the intake could be another option, and much quieter.

14. sumocopter

sumocopter Member

That's a nice idea, thanks eagle :) ill give it a bash and have a look at a DIY canister too, sounds like fun!

15. DrRob

DrRob It's life Jim, but not as we know it.

Hagen pulled aquaclears off the uk market a while ago now.

I'd be suggesting the powerhead/sponge option too, or a DIY external. Options where you get to pick your own pump are useful for controlling the flow, so long as don't go too crazy with big media boxes and small pumps.

16. sumocopter

sumocopter Member

I'm tempted by the ease of sponge and powerhead. Are there any particular powerheads that you recommend for low flow in a small tank?

17. eaglesaquarium

18. lee420

lee420 Member

i recently got a TOM microfilter with a spraybar for my 5gal breeder off of amazon for like 14$. its quiet as ****, spraybar works good and plenty of power for 5 gal. its small internal with sponge and a little carbon.

19. sumocopter

sumocopter Member

I think I'll stick with the powerhead and sponge idea simply for size reasons, just got to research powerheads now to find a small one that is available in the uk! Thanks for your help guys!