Tiny Filter - Any Ideas?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sumocopter

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi folks,

The filter in my little shrimp tank died a while ago.  I've just kinda left it, doing weekly water changes and thinking 'well it's only shrimp, they're not much bioload anyway.'  Now I'd like to be a bit kinder to my shrimp and I am considering putting 3 scarlet badis in the tank for a bit of fishy movement.

The tank is a 19l (I think) triangle.  Previously the tank had a Rena Superclean 40 which did the job but the flow was a bit on the high side and buffetted the shrimp about.  It also took up some space in an already tiny tank.  To make life even more interesting the tank is in a bedroom and thus needs to be as quiet as possible.  I have considered a HOB but the tank has a raised plastic part over the top of the tank glass and I can't find any of these of a suitable size, they're all too long!

Does anyone have any advice about the filter possibilities?  I'm not averse to a bit of DIY when it comes to either the filter or the tank.

Cheers for your help!

Try googling DIY sponge filter - perfect for shrimp tanks as nowhere for the shrimp to get sucked in and can be made as small as you want.

If you need further information try posting in the DIY section of the forum as I'm certainly no expert on how you'd actually do one.

I've got a couple of sponge filters going in another tank.  A little noisy for the bedroom....

I would highly recommend a DIY sponge filter, very easy to make and does the job! If you are worried about the noise, just shop around for a ‘silent’ pump. :)

Ok so I tried a sponge filter last night and I'm getting a bit of grief about the noise of the bubbles! Anyone got any other ideas?

besides for sponge filters, the smallest filter I can think of is an AquaClear 20, I had 3 110's and when I bought a 20 I laughed at how small the little thing is, it should suit your 5.5g tank fine

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Internal are quieter, but hold so much less media, at least my Fluval U2 did I was glad when I stopped using it but it was so expensive

They also take up room that filter might only be 3cm/4cm/10cm but thats still a nice chunk out of a 20l tank

for some reason they have the powerhead and all the filter media parts, but no filter on Amazon.co.uk  I dunno what stores you have but I dont know why I cant find it in Europe either

sumocopter said:
Ok so I tried a sponge filter last night and I'm getting a bit of grief about the noise of the bubbles! Anyone got any other ideas?
ear plugs.

DIY canister? The one I made failed miserably... water everywhere.  But it should be silent.  I know there are instructions on this forum in the DIY section. Or else hit google/youtube [not that there is a difference these days...].

A small powerhead with a SPONGE over the intake could be another option, and much quieter.

That's a nice idea, thanks eagle :) ill give it a bash and have a look at a DIY canister too, sounds like fun!

Hagen pulled aquaclears off the uk market a while ago now.

I'd be suggesting the powerhead/sponge option too, or a DIY external. Options where you get to pick your own pump are useful for controlling the flow, so long as don't go too crazy with big media boxes and small pumps.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back