Tigrinus Catfish / Zebra Shovelnose Catfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dave_oddballs

ray and oddball keeper !!
Reaction score
hi, in the near future i will be looking at getting one of these fellas, probably around the 8-12" mark hopefully, seen this guy on the classifieds and wondering if there is any difference in the fish with the makings like this one?
http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail51_132558.php
now i know most tigs have near vertical striping, well not vertical bet a slight angle but solid lines, where as that one has a strange pattern, is it just a variation or a slightly different fish?
i don't like it as much as the normal ones i have seen so probably wouldn't pay £250 for it as i could easily get one of the nicer ones for that, just curious really.

cheers, Dave

dave mate i wouldnt pay anything over a 100 for any cat look on gumtree mate there was a shovelnose up my end for £55 bargain but yet again someone who just coudnt house him properly

Sorry cannot help on that, not a clue bout these, but he is a sexy fish but id never pay that for a fish, sorry

What makes me wonder aswell is he says hes downgrading the number of tanks he has, so obviously planning on shifting a biggy or two, then he says for payment would take an asain aro, um are they not on par for size?

haha i wouldn't buy it, but thats not a bad price for a 18" tigrinus, normal shovel nosed cats go for next to nothing but they grow bigger and aren't as nice or rare, its only the zebra shovel nose i would consider, you can get them for about £150 but they are small and have a high fatality rate when young so would need to be at least 8-10" and so will cost at least £200, if you can find a good sized zebra shovelnose cheaper then let me know! ha

There is quite a bit of variation in the patterns among young fish I've seen labelled as "tigrinus". It may be a slightly different subspecies, or something they'll grow out of, never kept one myself to find out.

I've just got a tiger shovelnose cat 9 inches £5 is that good ??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back