Tiger Barb Tank Mates

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

argoma

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm getting a new tank for christmas, a 15 gallon, and today I went to the pet store and saw this beautiful Tiger Barbs and I thought I have to have some of those, they are so gorgeous.
So I was wondering if I can house any Tiger Bars in there and if so, how many and possible tank mates.

As far as I know, most say they need a minimum of a 30g tank.
I know I personally would not put them in the 15g. They're definitely beautiful though.

Ninjouzata said:
As far as I know, most say they need a minimum of a 30g tank.
I know I personally would not put them in the 15g. They're definitely beautiful though.
I agree
They're active swimmers & would prob prefer something at least 60cm in length

What other fish can i put in there then?

how bout a dwarf gourami---4 catfish---and a couple bolivian rams

What kind of fish do you like? You could put a good bit of micro fish in there.
pH, water hard or soft, dimensions of the tank?

Dont put guppies. Tiger barbs are notorious for being fin nippers. It would be better if it was a species only tank. Larger rasboras like the scissot tails would work so, would some larger tetras like hatchetfish, some small cichlids like rams

Ninjouzata said:

I have a betta, and i'm going to put him in when i get the tank but he has been lethargic and i suspect he's close to death. But anyways, he seems to be more receptible to tank mates now and i think i could put some neon tetras? Small fish fascinate me.
It's a 15 gallon long tank.

argoma said:

I have a betta, and i'm going to put him in when i get the tank but he has been lethargic and i suspect he's close to death. But anyways, he seems to be more receptible to tank mates now and i think i could put some neon tetras? Small fish fascinate me.

Ah okay. I do hope he perks up. I forget if you've gotten a heater yet or not.
You can try tank-mates but make sure to have a back-up tank for your betta in case he decides he doesn't like them.

Here is a list of some small fish: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/418749-nano-fish/
Google the ones that sound interesting to you to see if you like the way they look and whatnot, and when you find something you like ask about it here as some of those are not meant to be kept with a betta.

I'm not 100% sure if all of those would be safe with your betta as some are quite small so may be able to fit in his mouth :/ Sorry I can't be of more help

Ninjouzata said:

Ah okay. I do hope he perks up. I forget if you've gotten a heater yet or not.
You can try tank-mates but make sure to have a back-up tank for your betta in case he decides he doesn't like them.

Here is a list of some small fish: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/418749-nano-fish/
Google the ones that sound interesting to you to see if you like the way they look and whatnot, and when you find something you like ask about it here as some of those are not meant to be kept with a betta.

I'm not 100% sure if all of those would be safe with your betta as some are quite small so may be able to fit in his mouth
confused.gif
Sorry I can't be of more help

THe Dwarf puffer is a big NO

guppy... no

shell dwellers no

you shold choose either rasbora or corydoras 

I read this thread as though the OP has accepted he can't really have Tiger Barbs in a 15 Gallon and was asking what else he could put in it.

argoma said:
So I don't see why argoma couldn't put Guppies in a 15 gallon tank.

DerpPH said:

guppy... no

shell dwellers no

Lunar Jetman said:

I read this thread as though the OP has accepted he can't really have Tiger Barbs in a 15 Gallon and was asking what else he could put in it.

So I don't see why argoma couldn't put Guppies in a 15 gallon tank.

DerpPH said:

guppy... no

shell dwellers no

Tiger barbs are proven fin nippers... unless he buys wild or shortfin versions of guppies :D

Derp I believe argoma is not doing the tiger barbs anymore but he will be putting his betta in, so now we're trying to find something that could go with that. :) Although of course depending on the bettas temperament it may not work.

Yes, I am now looking for suitable tank mates for my betta or, at the very least, fish that can be kept in a 15 gallon tank. The betta is not a problem, if none of the ones i like are good to put in with my betta, I can keep him in his 2,5 gallon and have other fish in the 15 gallon, but if I can get any fish in there with it, that would be the best.

I just took a look at that list and here are some I liked:
Dario Dario (Scarlet Badis)
Guppy (the fancy ones, which I'm aware I can't put in with Casper)
Licorice Gouramis
Indostomus Crocodilus
Mosquito Rasbora or Chili Rasbora
Celestial Pearl Danio
Green Neon Rasbora
Emerald Dwarf Danio
Dwarf-Spotted Rasbora
Chocolate Gourami
Dwarf Gourami
Bluefin Nothobranch

These are some that i liked from the list.
I'm sure I can get Guppy, Dwarf Gouramis, some kinds of Danios and some Rasboras here where I live. Most of those i had never seen before and they are gorgeous but I'm sure most of them aren't sold here. Anyway, let me know which I could put in with a betta or without and how many and if I can house different species together.
Thank you everyone!

(And by the way, I'm a she.)

Also, could it be a sorority tank for female bettas? Just for future references.

Most reactions

Back