Tiger Barb Tank Mates

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I have five .75 inch long tiny little Tiger Barbs and three 1.25 inch Albino Corries and they don't seem to bother each other much. Maybe it's because the Barbs are so much smaller?

I did see a Barb nip at one of the female Gouramis fins but she quickly chased him away.

If your Tigers are that tiny, just wait until they grow up a bit.
crazy.gif

I have five .75 inch long tiny little Tiger Barbs and three 1.25 inch Albino Corries and they don't seem to bother each other much. Maybe it's because the Barbs are so much smaller?

I did see a Barb nip at one of the female Gouramis fins but she quickly chased him away.

If your Tigers are that tiny, just wait until they grow up a bit.
crazy.gif

Okay, it's settled then. I'll return the Barbs to PetCo tomorrow. Thank God for the 30 day return policy, I've only had them a week or so. It's better this way, since my tank isn't fully cycled yet.

They are awesome though, but I didn't expect them to be that nippy.

The Corries are okay with the Gouramis though right?

Oops! I edited the part that said I'm was returning the Gouramis, I meant the Barbs.

Tiger barbs by themselves are fun. They are a very active and curious fish that always swim around and explore. I find them fun to watch. I have 5 right now in a 30 gallon and plan to get 5 or 7 more.

Arghhhhh!

The Tiger Barbs are pecking at the Gouramis..............and getting chased for their efforts.

Photos, please!!
biggrin.gif

[/quote]

OK. Here are some Odessa Barbs and Black Ruby Barbs. Those are my favorites because of the colors they get.

Barbs1.jpg

To just name a few of the others I have in this tank:
Cherry Barbs
Long Fin Rosy Barbs
Green Tiger Barbs
Platinum Green Tiger Barbs
Deinson Barbs (aka Rose Line Sharks or Red Lined Torpedo Barbs)
Gold Barbs

Non-barbs:
several Albino Cories
Albino Rainbow Shark
Golden Nugget Pleco
Royal Pleco
a pair of Pearl Gourami
Geophagus Surinamensis
a few platies

It is a very full 125 gallon.

Stephen

Arghhhhh!

The Tiger Barbs are pecking at the Gouramis..............and getting chased for their efforts.
They're gonna do that. Chances are they're not gonna learn a thing from being chased away by a gourami. I'd keep a close eye to make sure they're not eating away at the gouramis long pectoral fins. That's why I don't keep barbs with gouramis.

I forgot I do have a couple of bolivian rams also. I have so many different kinds of barbs, they don't bother other fish like the cories or the gouramis.

Photos, please!!
biggrin.gif

Barbs1.jpg

Those are some awesome looking fish! Good luck with them.

Arghhhhh!

They're gonna do that. Chances are they're not gonna learn a thing from being chased away by a gourami. I'd keep a close eye to make sure they're not eating away at the gouramis long pectoral fins. That's why I don't keep barbs with gouramis.

Too late, I returned the Tiger Barbs yesterday. They had just begun pecking at the Gouramis, probably because I'm cutting back on feeding to better cycle my tank.

Photos, please!!
biggrin.gif

Barbs1.jpg

Those are some awesome looking fish! Good luck with them.

Arghhhhh!

Too late, I returned the Tiger Barbs yesterday. They had just begun pecking at the Gouramis, probably because I'm cutting back on feeding to better cycle my tank.

You made a good choice if you ask me, either them or the gouramis. :good:

And it wouldn't be a feeding issue. The only fish species I had that would nip because it was hungry is buenos aires tetras. But tiger barbs are just nippy. they're kinda meddlesome little guys.

Most reactions

trending

Back