Tiger Barb Tank Mates

More tiger barbs.
w00t.gif

Agreed; I've never been able to keep anything successfully with tigers, apart from zebra loach and plecs. Anything else just gets nipped to pieces, even though I have two dozen tigers in a four foot tank.

That's why I added 6 to my 9 in my 29g. I do have a little BN pleco in there, but the tigers are the only others I'll keep in there. Makes me a bit sad that I started out with tigers in my community tank and everyone got along great. But this new batch was chasing everyone around, so now they've got the 29g all to themselves. I'm really hoping they'll breed and give me some more.
wink.gif

I thought Tiger Barbs were good with Blue, Gold, Opaline, Gouramis ??? I did read that they weren't good to go with Corys, after I bought 3 Albino Corys of course......................

A site that I use for fish compatibility lists the following as good tank mates for Tiger Barbs:

The Tiger Barb should be kept in groups of 8 and is compatible with the Bala Shark, Black Skirt Tetra, Bosemani Rainbow, Clown Loach, Dwarf Neon Rainbow, GloFish, Kissing Gourami, Kribensis, Kuhli Loach, Leopard Pleco L114, Molly, Peppermint Pleco L030, Platy, Pleco (Common), Rainbow Shark, Red Tailed Shark, Rosy Barb, Sunshine Pleco L014, Swordtail, Three Spot Gourami, Tinfoil Barb, Upsidedown Catfish, Zebra Danio

Tigers are definitely a no no with cories. Tnhey're ok with loaches, and with other nippy fish, like serpae or silvertip tetras; even black phantoms suffer kept with tigers. I've never kept them with gouramis, but wouldn't risk it myself.

That site is:

http://tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Compatibility/MatchResults.php

Tigers are definitely a no no with cories. Tnhey're ok with loaches, and with other nippy fish, like serpae or silvertip tetras; even black phantoms suffer kept with tigers. I've never kept them with gouramis, but wouldn't risk it myself.

Seriously? Why aren't they compatible with Cory cats? Those guys have armor...........

They incessantly nip at corydoras, and at black skirt tetras.

I just looked up zebra loaches and I just might have to think about that!

I found, that although the barbs, at least in my sight, never actually nipped the cories, they were so active and wanted the whole tank space to themselves, that the cories stopped coming out, except at feeding time. I could just tell (ok, that's a subjective staement that I can't back up with scientific studies) that the cories weren't happy. They became very, very shy; whereas moved out, away from the barbs, they're out most of the tme and seem a lot more confident.

I've successfully kept bolivian rams with tiger barbs, and some people keep tigers with convict cichlids, though to me that seems a little risky, as convicts are pretty big and aggressive. I've never tried it myself, so dig deeper if you want a convict.

I thought Tiger Barbs were good with Blue, Gold, Opaline, Gouramis ???

I would not keep tiger barbs with gouramis. they have long nippable pectoral fins which the tiger barbs will fine quite appetizing.

How about some red eye tetras? I have 6 in with my mixed bag of cory, and since introducing them into that tank the cory have become quite shy. I'd like something calmer in there, but I could only move the red eye tetras in with my tiger barbs or into my 55g.

My dad has a shoal of tigers with gouramis. They're all getting along fine though. I guess it just varies from fish to fish.

Ive kept tiger barbs with a pleco, blue and gold gourami, an albino rainbow shark, and buenos aires tetras, and had very little fin nipping. They did like to chase each other around alot though until i added more plants and decorations.

I have five .75 inch long tiny little Tiger Barbs and three 1.25 inch Albino Corries and they don't seem to bother each other much. Maybe it's because the Barbs are so much smaller?

I did see a Barb nip at one of the female Gouramis fins but she quickly chased him away.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back