Thought's on a new fish tank.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ancient11

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
The way my room is arranged I had to put my little 7 gallon tank in a space that I cannot readily enjoy it while I am on the computer. I have a space next to my computer desk along the wall and it is crying for a fish tank.

I had to go to the doctor and we happened to stop at the store and there was this tank and stand just begging me to take it home but being on a fixed income I will have to wait on the third of next month.

I fully intend on starting out with three double sponge filters with power head's, which should hold me long enough so I can get a canister but I like to plan ahead for emergency's. I'd like to know how much space between the tank and wall I would need to put a HOB filter. This tank will be mostly about plant scape with a few, very few fish. I figure about five Guppy's and five cardinal's. (After all, you don't want to overcrowd the tank)

I have about 3” between the wall and the tank. My hob fits in there. I’d measure the HOB first though. Good luck!

Last edited:
Before deciding on the type of filter, what is the tank size (volume, and dimensions) and what fish do you intend keeping in it? Depending upon the answers to these questions, you may not want or need an HOB filter. Water current is very important for fish, either those that need it stronger or those that need little if any current.

Per OP’s post, she’s planning on about 5 guppies and 5 cardinals. Mostly a planted tank. Size?

Before deciding on the type of filter, what is the tank size (volume, and dimensions) and what fish do you intend keeping in it? Depending upon the answers to these questions, you may not want or need an HOB filter. Water current is very important for fish, either those that need it stronger or those that need little if any current.

I really don't know the volume (I haven't sat down and worked it out) but my grandson measured it and it was 72 inches long by 24 inches wide by 29 inches high. I put an 80% deposit on this tank and stand. I will be picking it up on the third of next month.

I am picking up things as I can. I have picked up 150 pound's of organic potting soil and 100 pounds of gravel sand plus some Mexican clay. I have two 300 water heater's and 4 power head's rated at 350 gallons per hour each but I only have two sponge filter's that are rated at 75 gallons each – 2 more next month.

I was thinking small tanks...this one is huge. You are sure of the measurements? Six feet length (72 inches) by 24 inches by 29 inches will be a 216 US gallon tank.

If forest fish like tetras are intended, and plants, a canister filter rated to the tank might serve you best. You don't want to have too much flow. But that is only one option. To the original question, I wold leave at least four if not five inches between tank and wall. Once you set this tank up it will not be moveable obviously.

Are you familiar with the "in's and out's" of soil-substrate tanks? If you intend substrate fish like cories or loaches, sand and not gravel is better.

If you can change the tank to a 6 x 2 x 2ft instead of a 6 x 2 x 30inch, it will be easier to work in and a lot lighter. You will also be able to use lower wattage lights on the 6x2x2.

A glass aquarium that is 6ft long x 2ft wide x 2 ft high will be made of 10mm thick glass and you need 4 people to move it when it's empty. Two really strong people can move it but normally you need 4 people to move the tank.

If you go for the 6ft x 2ft x 30inch high tank, it will be made of 12-15mm thick glass and will weigh a lot more. You will need more people to move the tank into position.

In addition to this, most people struggle to clean the inside of a tank that is 2 foot high and tanks that are 30 inches high are just a pita to clean.

Finally, tanks of this size need to be on concrete floors because they weigh more than 700kilograms and wood floors will not take that weight. Make sure you have a decent floor for the tank otherwise the tank will go through it.

-----------------------
Organic potting mixes usually have lots of rotting organic matter in and that will cause ammonia problems. If you want plants then put a thin layer of red or orange clay on the bottom and cover it with 3-4 inches of fine gravel.

Most reactions

Back