Thorn Broken Off In My Foot.... How To Get It Out?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Except for diggig after it with a needle, (which my wife has done leaving a crater)..... how do you get a thorn (deeply imbedded) out of your foot..... (I've already suggested that my wife starts digging from the topside of my foot as it seems to be closer to that side).... any suggestions???..... - it really is irritating and very sore!!!

Try getting you foot in some hot water as it may draw the thing out a bit but I am afraid it's needle and tweezer o'clock.

Make a foot soak using warm water and tea tree oil, its a natural estringent as is pawpaw. You can also get stuff called Ichthammol Ointment its like a black tar that you put on splinters and it draws the splinter out.
If its in to deep a doctor maybe a better option as a deep infection could set it and there is always the risk of tetnus.

Do soemthing fast - I left a splinter in my thumb years ago thinking it would work its way out.

It did not, and layers and layers of skin gradually grew over it. It is still there now. Pretty lucky it never got infected really!

Apply gentle pressure on either side and it should come out pretty easily, it would also be worth getting a cream from your pharmacy, to help draw it out and to stop it from getting infected, have you had a tetanus vaccine in the past 10 years?

Warm water, have a long long long bath, the skin around it will soften and if you can't get it out that way, give it a day or so and it will prob fall out. I had this with a glass shard and I woke up two days later with it stuck in my leg where it came out in my sleep and I rolled on it.

Whats the update? Did you get it out?

I had a similar problem when i smacked a long spine urching (long story!) and i had about 7 spines going straight into the outside of my hand, horizontally towards the palm of my hand. Though with spines, you cant get them out with tweezers as they are hollow and all i could get near was the fragile end of the spike.

Genius cure...

68p pot of Magnesium Sulphate paste from chemist and lots of bandages..... the spines all came ut one by one over night.

Whats the update? Did you get it out?
Nope!..... had my wife digging again with needle & tweezers yesterday afternoon..... I now think that it might not be a thorn, but one of these spiral snails which I scoop out of the tanks in my fishroom..... Being Diabetic, I should learn to wear sandals (or shoes) when leaving the house.....

Being Diabetic...

Go to the doctor. My uncle lost one leg to gangrene because of diabetes, and had gangrene in the other when he died. They couldn't remove the second leg as he was too frail to withstand surgery. Admittedly he didn't take his diet seriously and was 85 when he died, but the danger is still there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back