This was asked by "Mickey" to me..!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bigez

Reaction score
This was a question asked by Mickey on my "Nitrite/Nitrate" question....

my question is:
why are you keeping goldfish with tropical fish?

Now...At first, I had nowhere to put them.. So i jus chucked them in the Tropical tank.... Since then, They have become a fine specimen of my tank.. And they really clean my gravel of food e.t.c... Pretty weird i know,But theyre a part of my Tropical Colony.. :D

but, most tropical fish require a heater to keep them living long and happy. whereas goldfish are cold water fish, whose life spans tend to be shortened when in heated water.
as far as i've learned, anyway.

Also, goldfish carry diseases that they are used to and effectively immune to that tropicals aren't.

Yes Goldfish should really never be put into a tropical tank due to the possibility of diseases and yes they are mainly cold water species. ;)

Yes.. All of the above are true.... But..The goldfish i recieved were fresh from the wild wen they were no bigger than a "toe nail"... But if they dont have any diseases before putting them in a heated tank its ok... Plus, do you really think id put tropical fish in a cold water tank...LOL..

But seriously they... If the goldfish are okay and clean and all that...then they will be a reall good lookin fish that earn theyre keep as Gravel Cleaners..(and trust me,before i put them in,there was so much sh*t in the gravel)

Peace

:no: I wouldn't. I started out with goldfish years ago when my outdoor pond got way overstocked. They are BIG ammonia producers!!!! You will have to really keep the tank clean so you don't kill your tropicals and I mean, FREQUENT water changes. Plus, as someone else said, they carry parasites that tropicals can't handle.

I'd get a separate tank. Also, goldfish websites (can't think of the one I used before, think it was aquaria.com) say that you should only have one goldfish per 10 gallons because they grow so fast.

Been there, done that! But, loved it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back