Third Nano Tank - Aquanano 30 (22 Litres)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Shelster

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I really like the aquanano range of tanks.

I already have a nano 30 upstairs and a nano 40 in the kitchen. This nano 30 has been set up in our dining room and has replaced my 180 litre which I broke down in March basically due to the constant collection of RO water as it was a high tech tank.

Ok so he goes:

I think as I am uploading a short video to photobucket, I can't seem to access the photos I have uploaded at the moment - grrrr

So here is the link to the thread of the little guy which is going to be occupying the tank.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/433721-my-third-boy-is-on-his-way/

Hopefully I can get some pictures on here shortly for you all :good:

Nice :)

I have the same tank, I too, like the simplicity of this tank and the hidden heater and filter compartments at the back of the tank.

Also the look of the tank is very appealing to me.

Do let us know how things get on show some pics as soon as you're up and running :)

Ok here we go!

Tank in situe:

Whilst the strengthening glue was 'going off' overnight, the tank was sat in the bathroom full of water to check it holds it!

Back compartments:

Now this is where it is different to my other nanos, I guess they are trying to save money?

Instead of having two netted bags full of media, they now do this:

These hold charcoal and media - which used to be ceramic noodles.

So it makes it a bit of a devil when you are seeding it from your other tanks mature media.

Soooo, I am not going to use these, I have ordered some bags (admittedly I could have probably used tights) and I shall place these in their place.

They also have the black sponge in the middle now instead and it's about half the size it used to be too!

This is my moaning wood which I had previously soaked for about a week:

Light in place, powerhead and thermostat.

I was going to use the black sand I used in my other nano 30, but as the betta is black I decided against it and went for sand. - it's just much more dusty is all, and took a few swishes in buckets of water:

Hmm, I hope I've washed enough sand???

Yep, I think I'm ok!

My other tanks have LEDS, I'm debating getting a different light source for it, what do you think?

Wood:

Bought a big selection of plants to play about with:

...and this is what I came up with:

My video is still uploading to photobucket in the time it's taken me to do all of this, so I'm not holding out much hope!

I've used the same light as in your picture, 9w aqua one bulb light, its perfectly fine for low tech plants and had no algae issues at all with that light.

Then decided to go a bit higher tech, i bought a aqua one 18w light cheap from eBay, much larger than the 9w one.

65783043-e147-4f27-9a57-998012af3670_zpsa1351966.jpg

But never used that 18w on that aqua nano tank though, I decided to get a LED light, but had algae issues with too much light until I raised the height of the LED on a glass shelf above the tank.

(Good thing about that option is the light is out of the way, making maintenance and water changes that much easier)

Not the same tank, but just to give you the idea of possible options.

8b3434c4-8639-44bd-8880-5cd411071a4d_zpsb3bd6abf.jpg

Yes, I think I may well stay with what I have and see how it goes :good:

That is looking really nice, Shel!
Can't wait to see your new chap in it.
It looks open topped. How will you stop him from jumping out?

No mama, I wouldn't risk that! - It's got the glass lid on it, you can see the clips holding the glass in place on top of the tank :nod:

Ha ha, obviously I have a spelling mistake! It is Mopani wood, not mopey wood ha ha!!

One fish in a bag!!!

Acclimatisation. Yes I did turn the lights off after this quick pic.

I decided to get a rabbit snail too.

Sorry about the reflection!

Ooh hello there, I'm Conan the bettabarian and you are? :D

Lovely chap and a nice little snail too :)

See you have the spray bar pointed upwards at an angle, presumably you have the powerhead at near minimum to keep flow gentle for the betta.

Is it working as you hoped?

Looks really, really good though :)

It's certainly a lot better than what I had before (nothing) all of the powerheads are on minimum.

My nano 40 and both of my 30's now have this on them. I did think they would be a lot longer than they are though (although I appreciate that would also increase flow) Vader, Gaston and Conan seem to approve anyway :D

The wood has had to go!

Poor Conan tore his tail up, I shall upload pics or you to see. It had to be the wood, as the only other thing in the tank is natural live plants.

I took Vaders wood from his tank and had a bit of a swap around.

Looking really nice Shel! Your plants are looking healthy too - how are you caring for them?

Hey mama, sorry I did see this the other day but didnt have time to reply, it was just a quick look whilst the toddlers were behaving ha ha.

I mix my own ferts, and use chelated trace. SLIM recommended it, as its much cheaper to make your own.

No worries, Shel, you are a busy mum!
Are you doing EI with CO2 or adding just enough on a daily or weekly basis? 
I'm only just beginning to use ferts and liquid CO2 so am always interested to see what other people do.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back