Tank size: 20ga
pH: 6.5
nitrite N02: 0
nitrate N03 20
General hardiness GH: 30
Carbonate hardness KH: 40
tank temp: 77-78
Filtration: topfin 20 + whisper 20 set for low
Current tank inhabitants: 3 neon tetras, 5 harlequin rasbora, 1 cobra guppy, 1 panda cory

Ive been noticing one of my rasboras has a funny shape. Not sure when it started. He is almost getting "short" in height not length. Flat bottomed instead of slightly rounded. See the pictures below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-02-25-18-09-58-1.png
    Screenshot_2018-02-25-18-09-58-1.png
    609.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_2018-02-25-18-14-03-1.png
    Screenshot_2018-02-25-18-14-03-1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
The fish is wasting away. It could be caused by intestinal worms or Tuberculosis, normally worms tho. If you have a spare tank you could treat it with a fish deworming product and see how it goes. If it is worms, the fish should start to gain weight and develop a normal body shape within a few weeks of being treated.

If it's TB the fish will show no improvement.

There is also a muscle wasting disease that causes the flesh to go white. That is quite rare but can occur. The fish's muscles (under the skin) turn white over a few days to weeks and the fish eventually dies. There is no treatment for that although salt might work. However, harlequins are not particularly fond of salt.

Colin thank you for your response. Unfortunately he did pass at the end of my fungal treatment that I was doing on the other fish prior to me getting to the deworming. Sad that it happened as he has been thinned for quite some time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back