Thinking Of Getting Black Harlequin Rasbora

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shrimper

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'm in the process of slowly stocking up my 48 US Gallon that currently has a single Male Betta, 7 Bronze Corys and a selection of algae shrimp. Obviously I can fit more fish in here but they need to be friendly with the Betta and the shrimp. The tank is reasonably well planted and i'm keeping it around 27 C at the moment. The tank has been running since Christmas and is cycled.

One fish I have seen recommended for a community with a Betta are Harlequin Rasbora. I have been looking in several LFS this weekend and have seen Black Harlequin Rasbora in one of the shops. From what I have read they are just a colour morph. They look similar to normal harlequins (which were in the tank next door) but the black area is bigger and they have red-ish faces. I've struggled to find pictures online but have found one on this page. The last fish picture about half way down the page is the Black Harlequin.

I was thinking about adding a group of 10. Would it be better to get 5 at a time or should i be ok to get all 10 at once?

Has anybody else kept this fish and got any tips?

I would like to know what to feed them? I doubt they will want sinking catfish pellets or floating betta bites so I would need to get them something else.

Also has anybody got any idea for other tank mates that would be compatible with my fish?

Hello
We have black harlequins at a store here too, and pink ones.
My harlequins eat flakes as they fall down (once in awhile they get brave and dart to the top for food when the mollies arent looking lol) and they also eat bloodworms, but you may have to break them into smaller pieces if the harlequins are young and small. They will probably eat any meaty food as long as its not too big.
I would probably get 6 first, then 4. But if your tank is pretty well established you could probably get them all at once. How long has it been done cycling for?

Hello
We have black harlequins at a store here too, and pink ones.
My harlequins eat flakes as they fall down (once in awhile they get brave and dart to the top for food when the mollies arent looking lol) and they also eat bloodworms, but you may have to break them into smaller pieces if the harlequins are young and small. They will probably eat any meaty food as long as its not too big.
I would probably get 6 first, then 4. But if your tank is pretty well established you could probably get them all at once. How long has it been done cycling for?

Thanks for the reply.

I cloned the filter by using half the media from my other tank. I've never seen any Ammonia or Nitrite readings from the tank, i checked it almost daily in Jan but have done it less since.

It would probably be ok to add all 10 then...they dont poop a ton

Cool, has anybody else got any experience of these or any ideas of fish i can keep with them and my Betta?

I was thinking more Corys would be the safest option but wondered if anybody had any better ideas.

Well i got some today. They have been in the tank about an hour now and are looking good.

The Betta doesn't seem bothered by them, he is acting the same way he did yesterday, sitting round in the Valis followed by periods swimming up and down the tank. He's not flared at anybody yet and they don't seem interested in him so fingers crossed its going to be ok.

Here is a photo of them in the bag
DSC00279.jpg

After being in the tank for an hour they have got most of their colour back so i've tried to get another photo of them... 20 pictures later this is the best one!
DSC00291.jpg

My Betta was happy to pose though.
DSC00282.jpg

hehe nice pics

Thanks, i wish i could get them in focus but they always seem to move at the last second.

The Betta still isn't bothered by them and nobody has been nipped at yet as far as I can see. I know its only early days but hopefully I wont be needing to use my 5Gal hospital tank for the Betta.

Just a quick update... They are still ignoring the Betta and he is ignoring them. They are shoaling less now and have spread out through the whole tank occasionally meeting back up in a small group then spreading out again. It looks quite cool. One of my corys seems to want to shoal with them as well. Before i put them in the tank the corys never ventured above half way up the tank except for that mad dash for air they occasionally make, last night one of my corys was swimming round near the top with the harlequins following them round! It has been acting normally today, i think it just got confused poor thing!

Here is the best photo I have managed to get so far... I've taken loads of photos but none have come out very well. I get nice in focus scenery and a blur of fish.

blackharlequin1.jpg

i have some silver tip tetras with my harliquins and they seem to shoal together and look kinda cool maybe you could try them.

Most reactions

trending

Back