Think My Tank Is Now Fully Stocked

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lizzie71

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I think I have now reached the optimum stocking for my 2 foot tank.

Dimensions are 24 x 12 x 15 inches, so about 19 gallons.

I have:

3 female platys
3 male guppys (2 new today)
4 x ray tetras
1 bristlenose plec (new today, only about 1.5 inches long)

I think it's looking really good now :good:

Yeah but i guess ur pretty overstocked.
I agree with this, the pleco will get really big! he needs a twenty gallon atleast!

Uhh, he said he has a 19g, is one gallon really that bad? And as far as plecos go, he really won't get that big. Maybe 4.5" or so.

If you have good filtration and keep up with your water changes, I'd say you're okay.

Ryan

watever you want to believe is fine, but i would say a full stocked tank would be a pleco and four other fish, but watever you want, ive seen plecos to be 6-8 inches

There are many species of plecos, with some growing nearly two feet (common plecs). These ones tend to stay smaller though. All plecos are poo machines, so you will have to stay on top of your water changes and gravel vacuuming.

Ryan

Bristlenose get max at 4.5 inches if it's male. I tihnk your tank looks pretty good. I wouldnt aff anything else though. Make sure you keep up with weekly waterchanges though.

Yeah but i guess ur pretty overstocked.
I agree with this, the pleco will get really big! he needs a twenty gallon atleast!

this is rubbish plec will be fine !!
if you read post it is a bristlenose plec which is perfectly fine in a 2foot 19 gallon tank.
ur stocking is fine mate! :good:

watever you want to believe is fine, but i would say a full stocked tank would be a pleco and four other fish, but watever you want, ive seen plecos to be 6-8 inches

this is also incorrect!

I have a BN plec in a 20 gallon tank with 10 platy, they do just fine. I do keep up on weekly water changes though, 20%. If I miss a week, I do 50% the next week on that tank, since I know it is stocked on the heavy side.

Actually, I did have 11 platy, and after about 6-8 months, 1 got sick with some kind of growth on it and died. Not sure what it was, but 1 loss in that timeframe is not bad IMO, I don't think my water quality was the cause.

Wow, didn't realise I would provoke a debate :lol:

I do weekly water changes, usually 2 10 litre buckets, so that would be about 25% I guess. I want to keep the plec ideally as he is already doing a great job of cleaning the glass (plus I've named him so I can't take him back now :) ). I don't want corys because they don't eat algae, and because I have gravel.

I notice that the person who said get rid of the plec has 2 of them in a 20 gallon tank :rolleyes:

I don't know if we'll keep the guppies though as they seem to be fighting. I can't add more to dilute the aggression and I can't add females as I don't want fry. So I'm not sure if they should stay or not.

The males are just squabbling as they set up a dominance order, they should stop fighting in a day or so.

Your stocking is fine.

Yes but there is more than one species of pleco isn't there :rolleyes:

The stocking's fine, just get at least 2 more x ray tetras, ideally they should be in groups of at least 6.

Most reactions

Back