Think My Guppys Are Pregnant,

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jynxed

Reaction score
Today i brought my first fish for my new 125l tank, i first brought 2 male guppys,got them home and all is well,
i decided i would give it a go with females aswell and see if i could breed them,
so i went to another store (first one i went to only had males) and brought 5 females.

I put them in the tank and to start with the males were all over them and the females kept trying to get away apart from 1 who happily would stay with the males (abit of a tom boy lol)

a few hours passed and 3/4 of the females are hiding under a big piece of bog wood and around the plants and one wedged itself behind the heater,
they all seem abit bigger then the one that is swimming around with the males.

would this sound like they are pregnant to you?
to the rear of the fish i cannot see a black spot as they have 2 big round black/brown patches shaped like a bum lol.
they also have a black line down their chests,

thanks for any help

It kinda souns like pregnancies but, It doesn't explain the black line down their chests and the one who is a tom boy. But yes, most likely they are pregnant.

lol i did notice babies in the tank in the shop so i guess they were pregnant before i even got them,lets hope so

ive now got a few pics,they arnt too good as fish kept moving, think they are camera shy.lol
what do you think? i have moved the male out of the tank today as he kept chasing round one of the females for ages and kept dashing her.
would this be the right thing to do? or should i have left him in there?

Attachments

• DSCF0212.JPG
    DSCF0212.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF0217.JPG
    DSCF0217.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF0213.JPG
    DSCF0213.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 46
The orange tailed one in today's post looks maybe 2 weeks into her gestation.That would mean another couple of weeks to go.

lol they are all orange tailed and all posted today. you mean the top right pic? i think that is the biggest one.i have 5 in total and only 1 dosnt look preggas.
also did i do the right thing and take away the male? one of the males died for some unknown reason today and the other keeps harrasing the females and bashing them sprayng sperm allover the place

The one in the center of last picture looks quite close to dropping fry. I would be surprised if she takes more than another day or two to deliver. The male does not need to be with the females but people seldom separate them.

The one in the center of last picture looks quite close to dropping fry. I would be surprised if she takes more than another day or two to deliver. The male does not need to be with the females but people seldom separate them.

you were quite right.the day after you replyed i had 8 fry when i got home from work.i now have 16 which i have taken out of may big tank and put on their own in a smaller tank. i think the other females are nearly ready aswell lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back