Thin Zebra Danio

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Robotochan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been hard at work all day fitting a new filter and I've noticed one of my Zebra Danios is rediculously thin. I tried feeding him but he took a bit then spat it out. All he seems to do is swim round in the centre of the tank in small 1cm jolts and his tail seems to rise whenever he doesn't move. I researched and it's either a bacterial or parasite infection. I have Melafix, what do you recommend I do? :unsure:

Being thin fish tb to internal parasites.
What does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet.
Is the anus enlarged or red and inflamed.

I'm not sure if he even goes to the toilet, never seen any of the Danios go, watched him for an hour after feeding and nothing! His anus is normal, but I noticed his bottom fins are all close to his body. He's really thin, his head is actually taller than his body now :(

I think as wilder said, internal bacteria medication. Doesnt sound good though, hope hes OK.

Bless him R.I.P.
Any other symtoms to go on besides being thin?

Hrmm, well to begin with he would eat a flake then within a second spit it out. By the end he just sat at the top of the tank, only moving his front fins to keep himself pointing in the same direction. No signs of anything physically different other than clamped fins. It's just odd that the other 5 Danio haven't been affected at all by anything which I would expect with both Parasites and Bacterial Infections...

Spitting food out can be a sign of flukes and they can get them internally as well, they go thin with flukes if left untreated.
Check the gills over to see if there red and inflamed or pale with excess mucas on them.

Flubenol but cant get if after wednesday being taken off the market.
If one fish has flukes best to treat the whole tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back