Thin White Worm Hanging Out Of Guppy Anus...what To Do?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Brunof

Reaction score
Over the past few weeks my male guppy has lost weight and tonight I noticed he had a clear/white transparent thread hanging from his anus. I shut the lights off, so he would stop swimming, and upon further inspection, I saw part of this "thread" fall off and sink to the bottom of the tank, and it was moving slowly, like a worm would do. (Keep in mind; it's a very small section) Perhaps this is Capillaria or a tapeworm? I'm really bad at diagnosing internal parasites, but I know I need to do something. Any ideas on what it could be? Is there any way I can treat the tank without having to tear it down and bleach? (It's a planted 5.5 gallon -- only crypts and java ferns. Male guppy is only inhabitant, with small snails, which probably should be eradicated as I know these can carry disease).

Here is some info I found on Guppyinfo:

"The feces may appear to be thin and white, or have light and dark segments. Live capillaria is rarely found in the feces. Eggs are usually present, even if the infestation is minor, as the capillaria produce prodigious amounts of eggs. The eggs are small, less than 50 micrometers. Although they can be seen at 200X magnification, they can be positively identified only under 400 to 600X magnification. Healthy fish usually can resist this worm. Female guppies often succumb to after the stress of birthing. Emaciation and a loss of appetite. However, capillarids compete with the fish for nutrients, resulting in a fish that looks thin and emaciated despite having a healthy appetite."

I guess this description fits my guppy the best...the white string (although it is somewhat irregular, in fact that it's not just a straight string that's hanging out out), is now segmented with darker areas...and he has a normal appetite, but he becomes thin, only hours after feeding...

If it is capillaria, which I think it may be, I'd like to use Prazipro, but I do think that any of my LFSs carry it. I know they do carry Jungle Parasite tabs, which contain praziquantel. Does anyone know if this medication ends the lifecycle of the caprillaria, or would I have to tear down my tank?

(Sorry, I just noticed I posted this in the wrong section) :crazy:

Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Back