'the Slow Burner' - Pics & Vid 21/08

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Added a as yet not 100% identified dwarf cichlid a couple of weeks ago - probably an Nannacara Anomala, but I'll wait for the answer to that question posted here

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/402662-name-that-dwarf-cichlid/page__pid__3389398#entry3389398

Also, the 'odd couple' were transferred to my newly set-up breeding tank 26th July. Checked on them yesterday at 7pm and they had spawned several hundred eggs (much more than they ever produced in the display tank). Went to check them this morning (they are in my garden shed) and all the eggs still seem to be present......finges crossed I'll have my first wrigglers in 2 days time.

the breeding tank

IMG_8003.jpg

and the eggs

July12001.jpg

ha!

Just popped in to see them, must be 10+ white eggs now and patches of empty space that used to contain eggs.....so some munching has occured I think. Determined to get them to raise the fry though - if it doesn't work this time then I'll keep trying. Not all that keen on removing the eggs and doing it myself.....not as rewarding!

I had a pair that would get them to 7 days old then eat them. :rolleyes:

not sure how long I will leave them in the tank after they hatch. Might plop the parents back into the main tank after a couple of days. Just having them not eat the eggs within 6hrs is quite nice!

just tip-toed around a water change, trying not to spook them......think I saw a couple of eggs get munched in the process but no serious damage. Female does seem rather skittish!

Mine were evil, they were so aggressive to me and the missus. Water changes were risky for my fingers. Lol.

aaaaannnnd.....she's eaten the eggs.

Offered some Tetra Prima to them (which is what I have been feeding since they were moved) and I noticed that she repeatidly tried it, only to spit every granule back out. I'nm wondering if this has been happening all the time since the transfer and that hunger eventually led to the egg eating? Guess work on my part, but will try a different food after the next spawn and pay closer attention to her eating habits.

another set of eggs have appeared, much sooner than I was presuming.

......round two.

Not in here very often either :)

I gave up with them - this summers breeding project is bristlnose....just transferred 40 fry to the nursery to join the 35 odd older fry already in there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back