The lowdown on Oscars...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

l33tfreak

Reaction score
I have a 75% chance of setting up another fish tank. This time I am going to stay the heck away from community tanks, just something about them that is just too difficult. This time I just want to have one fish that would look cool and be somewhat easier than a Discus and not cost as much as one.

So I discovered about oscars 4 months ago, and waited until my birthday to raise up the money again. I have approximately $150, $80 of which will get me a 50 gallon tank, canister filter, heater, stand with cabinet, light hood, basically all the hardware. I'm just getting an Oscar juvenile that can grow up with the tank (and with possibly 2 bottom feeders) for $10, food, plants, and some black gravel. The rest I have sitting in a bag in my room from the previous 30 gallon tank, and that set could definitely be sold to an eager kid who wants a pet. So I definitely have the exact amount of money for the whole whazoo.

Now the only questions I have left are for you eager answerneers:

1. What am I looking at as far as diet? What live foods or household veggies/ cut up meat would do best for the little wanker? And as I understand, they can actually go for the occasionaly goldfish.

2. Undergravel filter. I'm guessing if I plan on having a plant jungle forest there is no need, right?

3. This will be the first time that I will actually use plants to the fullest. Last time I just had a few, but were terrorized by snails that somehow escaped the 15 minutes of boiling tap water when I bought them. So I just ask, is there any sure fire way I can make sure that I can get every single freaking snail out of each plant I buy?

4. As far as what plants I need, I am looking for plants that will spread out and just make it a wonderful forest. Like a kelp forest. Last time I used a kind that I believe was called sea grass and can grow up to 2 feet long and spreads from each side a root to grow another one. I plan on buying those to fill up the gravel with green, but what other plants should I consider that can spread out and look good for the bottom of my tank?

5. Is there any plant fertilizer or as I hear a CO2 replenesher that uses yeast that I should use? After all I am going to be having a giant forest in a 50 gallon. :D

6. And just wondering if anyone knows the best way to secure an aquarium and cabinet to a wall. I live right on San Andreas Fault in California.

Thank you very much, more questions will probably be on the way as I get the tank set up in the next month.

Now the only questions I have left are for you eager answerneers:

1. What am I looking at as far as diet? What live foods or household veggies/ cut up meat would do best for the little wanker? And as I understand, they can actually go for the occasionaly goldfish.

A. Oscars are messy slobs!! IMO pellets are the way to go (soaked prior to feeding) and the occassional frozen foods. Live feeders are not a good idea. They can harbour disease and some say this is directly linked to HITH (hole in the head disease) which oscars are known for.

2. Undergravel filter. I'm guessing if I plan on having a plant jungle forest there is no need, right?

A. Don't plan on using either an UG filter or plants in an oscar tank!! Being messy the UG would be useless and the plants would not last long between the digging and the meal the oscar would make of them!!

3. This will be the first time that I will actually use plants to the fullest. Last time I just had a few, but were terrorized by snails that somehow escaped the 15 minutes of boiling tap water when I bought them. So I just ask, is there any sure fire way I can make sure that I can get every single freaking snail out of each plant I buy?

A. See above answer to question #2

4. As far as what plants I need, I am looking for plants that will spread out and just make it a wonderful forest. Like a kelp forest. Last time I used a kind that I believe was called sea grass and can grow up to 2 feet long and spreads from each side a root to grow another one. I plan on buying those to fill up the gravel with green, but what other plants should I consider that can spread out and look good for the bottom of my tank?

A. Again see answer #2

5. Is there any plant fertilizer or as I hear a CO2 replenesher that uses yeast that I should use? After all I am going to be having a giant forest in a 50 gallon. :D

A. Again answer #2

6. And just wondering if anyone knows the best way to secure an aquarium and cabinet to a wall. I live right on San Andreas Fault in California.

A. The best way to do this is to use lag bolts thru the cabinet framework into a wall stud. This is how I anchor all my racks that are along walss!! Works great!! There really is no way that I can think of to anchor the tank.

Thank you very much, more questions will probably be on the way as I get the tank set up in the next month.

HTH....

CM

Thanks man. As far as plants, I am sure that if I have enough that he should be overwhelmed and not go on a feeding plant frenzy.

Oh yes. Bottom Feeders. I have just found out it's a 60 gallon and 4 feet x 2 feet x 15 inches. Shoiuld I just get a juvy pleco or would an oscar get pissed off at it and eat it. If so what bottom feeders are compatible with them?

an oscar being overwhelmed at the amount of plants! roflmao at that one. americans are notorious at making a salad bar out of any planted tank. not to mention the digging. they do not dig like the africans, but rather use the gravel to get food. some will dig. got a dempsey that is a notorious digger. watch the look on your oscars face when he sees your beautiful planted tank for the first time. you will actually see the love in his eyes.

maggie

Bottom Feeders.
I'm putting my two (4inch) Oscars in a 4ft tank and ppl here have told me that a 'Common Pleco' would be fine.

tfreak,

This is only my opinion, but the tank height is a little low for oscars!!

An adult oscar can reach sizes up to 16" and their body height is proportionate to that as well!!

A 15" high tank IMO just is not conducive to the fish. Please keep in mind this is only my opinion.

Now about the plants...this is entirely up to you, but again plants and large cichlids don't do well....

As Semper said Americans (S/C American cichlids) love a salad bar!!! Does not matter how many plants you have in the tank you will soon be replanting/replacing them daily once the little bugger starts to put on some size.

A common pleco will do fine in the tank, but there again it will love you for the plants as well. The plec will probably do more damage to the plants then the oscar!! The pleco will have a tendancy to eat any algae of the plants as well as eat the plants!!

My suggestion would be a Synodontis eupturus for a bottom feeder. These grow to about 7" and will be able to take care of itself with an oscar for a tankmate.

HTH

CM

As far as feeding. You could keep your smaleer tank, and raise guppies in it to supplement feed. Some people will yell at me over this one.. :lol:

I also agree with the Master that eventually, your Oscar will outgrow a 40gal tank.

I also must agree that the plants are a bad idea. What he can't eat all at once, he will uproot.

Sorry Freaker, but it seems like our answers sent you back to the drawing board. Saves you time and trouble though.

You might want to look into another type of Cichlid. Cichlidmaster has some great photos on the board here, and on his website. Many are much more attractive than the Oscar. :thumbs:

The tank is large enough I have found, my friend definitely isn't good using a damn ruler. :rolleyes: It is tall enough and wide enough for an oscar and one or two catfish/sharks.

As far as plants, I am going to try my best to keep the little rascal from uprooting them. I have had some really doggish plant-rooting fish in the past moments of my 30 gallon and I have been able to keep them from killing my plants. My theory is that after I give the plants a whole month to grow, they will be humongous. This would certainly intimidate a small fry oscar. Also I have been good at placement of lava rocks in the past and have made it impossible for fish to uproot plants. How can you uproot a plant when you eventually become more than a foot long?

Oh and as far as the 30 gallon, it's just sitting around catching dust. If I don't find anyone that will buy all the stuff for 40 bucks I might as well use it. :p

Chances are though that it will probably not happen, but it is something to think about.

Guppies: Hellz no. I ain't setting up any Red Light District in my house with those baby frenzies.

Angelfish: Maybe. I'm guessing 4 juveniles and 3 small bottom feeders?

One big arse fish: Would be cool to have an eel. Dunno anything about them though.

gl had a good suggestion with the guppies. convicts are also good for that matter. oscars do like to have live foods in their diets and like you said the water bunnies will be able to supply that need for them. i feel alot safer using fry that i raised myself rather than feeders from an lfs that usually have a few dead ones or earthworms that have crawled through god knows what. you might want to reconsider gl's reccommendation. your oscars will thank you.

l33tfreak said:
The tank is large enough I have found, my friend definitely isn't good using a damn ruler. :rolleyes: It is tall enough and wide enough for an oscar and one or two catfish/sharks.
T,
I did'nt say it was'nt wide enough, just a little short!! I also said it was JMO!! I assume the height is more than the 15" you stated in your previous post??

I am curious to know what the actual dimensions are, so if your first stated dimensions are wrong I can re-state my opinion!!!

As for plants, well time will tell!! Oscars don't per se go out of their way to uproot them, they dig therefore the plants will become uprooted from this digging!!

As for rock placement, your oscar, when grown will have something to say about how it's tank is arranged!!

Good luck as oscars are great fish with lot's of personality.

CM

Thanks for the advice oh lord CM. Personality is the main reason why I am going for one bad ass fish this time. They are about as cool as snakes and require the same amount of responsibility as 30 community fish into 1 tank. I'm able to focus my full attention on 1 fish and a few scrubs that feed off the bottom.

The tank is ~4.5 feet long, 22 inches thick, and 2 feet high. It will actually come with a cartridge filter (a high model number Whisper that hangs over the back of the tank) but sooner or later I will get a nice pump filter.

T,
That tank will definately be good for an oscar. Thanks for posting the correct dimensions!!

The whisper filter that is coming with the tank will be good for now for sure.

If I may suggest though...when looking for a new one consider a canister filter. Oscars are messy fish and if you are going to add like a pleco or two this will add to the mess!!

Canister filters are great for large tanks of large messy fish...

Have fun with your oscar as they can become quite a pet!!!

CM

I have two(one now, my other o jumed out sob :-( :-( ) in a 30x13x15inch tank he/she is 4inchs long and has 5 plants and only once up rooted 1 plant when a piece of food was at the roots!!!!!!
He/she is goin in a 4 ft tank soon maybe with some convicts.As long as u dont have two many plants i dont see a prob!!!!!!

I have 8 oscars!! :) the albino ones are a pair, and my 2 largest tiger oscars are a pair 2.. i`m sensing that my 2 albinos are mating as they have taken atleast 2 foot at one end, and the other fish including the larger oscars won`t go near em.. fingers crossed :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back