The Dreaded Black Brush/beard Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

guppiegirlie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
OK so I have a, IMO, nice healthy well established tank, heavily planted which is home to 10 harlequins, 12 guppies, 6 platties, 8 bentosi, white tip tetras, 2 GBR's, 3 khuli loaches, 7 corydoras, false julii and sterbai and one little albino bn.

I also have a host of Malaysian trumpet snails, a couple of assassin snails to help with the trumpet snail population and a handful of little red ramshorns.

I have noticed recently a couple of my more slower growing plants having a bit of what I now know as blackbrush algae covering the edges of their leaves. I have been picking these leaves off to try to combat it but it just grows right back.

I have been doing a little research and other than litteraly stripping my tank and starting over (plantwise) which I really don't want to have to do, is there anything else that will rid me of this darn algae!?

I've read about c02 and fertz, can anyone recommend any in particular which will not harm my fish? I currently use no fertz at all but do use a small c02 boost in the form of the tetra boost c02 depot. Which in reality is not enough for the size of my tank but my cobomba plant right next to it loves it lol.

Anyway... Apart from this ugly stuff not looking very appealing does it do any damage to my tank? Can I live with it? Or does it need to be removed, sooner rather than later?

Please help me!!!

It's not really a problem until it starts growing entirely over a plant's leaves, which can kill them. (Or covering walls, that's not too pretty c;) I live with it in my 45 gallon, but it usually stays on rocks and the edges of older leaves.
As far as removing it goes, I've never tried, but this thread has a lot of good information. 

LyraGuppi said:
As far as removing it goes, I've never tried, but this thread has a lot of good information.
Some fab info there, thanks lyra.

After reading that I think I can safely say my problem has likely arisen from being rather neglectful of my poor tank as of late, lights being on too long, weekly water changes becoming 3-4 weekly water changes and no daily c02 boost.

*hangs head in shame*

After a stressful few weeks of ill toddlers, house move, Christmas, a new year birthday my poor fish have had to take a back seat.

Back on track now so hopefully will get this under control before it gets out of control!

Thanks guys

I made this point in the linked thread, but will briefly state it here to provide the information.  The only way to deal with this (or any) algae is to address the cause rather than "band-aid-ing" with chemicals or fish or whatever, all of which create their own issues.  Without rectifying the cause, it will only return anyway.

Algae is completely natural, and any aquarium completely free of algae is unhealthy.  But with plants, we aim to keep the algae under control, and that means finding the balance between light intensity (duration also figures in, once the intensity is determined) and nutrient supply.  Algae will only take advantage of an imbalance to spread over plant leaves, and unlike higher plants, algae is not at all fussy about light or nutrient availability.

Byron.

I made this point in the linked thread, but will briefly state it here to provide the information.  The only way to deal with this (or any) algae is to address the cause rather than "band-aid-ing" with chemicals or fish or whatever, all of which create their own issues.  Without rectifying the cause, it will only return anyway.
Completely agree, Adding shrimp snails and other algae eaters will help but you need to find the reason, (nutrient imbalance) that is causing it.  There are 3 nutrients that are commonly promote algae, nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous.  While more frequent and larger water changes will eventually get the nutrients in balance.  however it you know which one is out other corrective measures could be taken. phosphorous and potassium test kits are available but most people don't have them.   However  In my experience phosphorous is the most likely cause of algae issues.

Its low water solubility means that is some solid phosphorous in the substrate.  End result is that it could take a lot of water changes just to get it down.  Phosphorous absorbents are available and they can be added to your filter to remove the excess.  Using fertilizers and more light can help increase plant growth and the plants will removed the phosphorous from the water.  Algae eaters (shrimp, snails, and some fish) will then help remove the algae that doesn't die.

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this (I've just scan read the replies) so thought I'd just chip in. BBA emits spores into the tank so a tiny bit can soon become a LOT. 
I've been there and I ended up with my entire tank blanketed. It was even growing on the glass. I joked it would grow on the fish if they stayed still long enough. 

As others have said you need to find the cause. Something is out of balance somewhere for this algae to take hold. I found in my tank I had excess phosphate in my tap water and so I run a remover to keep the level down. If you can get your water checked for phosphates too it would help to know if that is high for you too

In the meantime remove anything that has any BBA on it and either scrub it off or throw it away. That way you limit the spores and slow it's spread :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back