The Axies Are Coming!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

luca1980

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been quitely lurking here in the background for awhile now!

Tomorrow I am picking up my new 4 foot tank and cabinet. My plans are to create a good home for some axolotls
smile.png
I love axies and find them very interesting but this will be my first time keeping them. I have done a TONNE of research and things are finally starting to take shape.

Stay tuned for updates and please feel free to comment - I am always keen to learn more!

Equipment list so far:

• 4 foot tank and matching cabinet (cabinet will need to be stained as it comes in raw pine) - roughly 52 gallons/200 litres
  • Eheim classic 600 ( I am normally a fluval person but I liked the fact that Eheim comes with a spraybar)
  • Fluval Eco bright LED - the levels of light are adjustable to give the plants enough light but not too much to stress the axies
  • Eheim airpump (100L/hr) with airstone diffuser (only to up the oxygen on really hot days)
Substrate will be beach sand. I also have several extra large cichlid caves for the axies to use as hides.

I have not decided on plants yet, I am in the middle of researching a list of low-light/cool water plant ideas - any recommendations are welcome!

I also plan to paint the back outside wall with matt black chalkboard paint. I have done this on my 5 foot mbuna tank and it looks great.

Yes nic1 I am planning on it! :)

My tank and cabinet arrived a day earlier than expected! They are now both in place. Hopefully I will get a chance to make some good progress over the weekend, starting with staining the cabinet and painting the backwall. Looking forward to taking some pics for everyone to see :) 

I stained my cabinet earlier this evening so the job for tomorrow will be to add a few coats of clear laquer and then paint the back wall of the tank (I use chalkboard paint so it is a matte black). I am having trouble uploading photos - they all get rejected because they are too big, but then I was wondering why everyone else is able to upload huge awesome pics for everyone to see. ANy suggestions would be greatly appreciated - I'm not very tech savvy, sorry guys! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back