That's Quite a Poo!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thrujenseyes

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm always overly concerned about my otocats getting enough food so I often flashcook/blanch veggies and place on a branch up high where they enjoy hanging out.
This is them having a grand old time with broccoli stalk.
My question is....is it too grand a time?!
Is a poo THAT long a good thing?! Or is he overeating?
I usually leave a veggie slice in for a day or two then remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm always overly concerned about my otocats getting enough food so I often flashcook/blanch veggies and place on a branch up high where they enjoy hanging out.
This is them having a grand old time with broccoli stalk.
My question is....is it too grand a time?!
Is a poo THAT long a good thing?! Or is he overeating?
I usually leave a veggie slice in for a day or two then remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Before my albino BM pleco passed away she used to poo strings over twice her length. She was almost five inches long and I never fed her veggies. She simply ate algae wafers and whatever she could suck up from the tank. I at the time kept her on a strict feeding schedule of one wafer every three days as she also ate whatever excess food was left behind when I fed my anges/cories. My point is that even when there was not any visible excess of food available she poo'd TONS, as bottom feeders are poo machines. I'd be more concerned if their was discoloration or abnormal behavior/coloring of your little guy. He might be getting a wee bit too much food, but you could always remove the veggie after one day instead of two.

Before my albino BM pleco passed away she used to poo strings over twice her length. She was almost five inches long and I never fed her veggies. She simply ate algae wafers and whatever she could suck up from the tank. I at the time kept her on a strict feeding schedule of one wafer every three days as she also ate whatever excess food was left behind when I fed my anges/cories. My point is that even when there was not any visible excess of food available she poo'd TONS, as bottom feeders are poo machines. I'd be more concerned if their was discoloration or abnormal behavior/coloring of your little guy. He might be getting a wee bit too much food, but you could always remove the veggie after one day instead of two.
Thanks for the reply, it always helps to hear of someone's own story with a similar issue!
I have to say ...I always get happy when I see them pooing because I know they're eating! But I just wondered if it was a little too much. I did remove it after I noticed this :)

I also noticed your guppies have poop trails. Usually this is a sign of overeating... I had this same issue the first week I had my guppies. I now fast them twice a week and have never had a problem with the poop trails. Fasting once or twice a week should get rid of this issue! :)

I also noticed your guppies have poop trails. Usually this is a sign of overeating... I had this same issue the first week I had my guppies. I now fast them twice a week and have never had a problem with the poop trails. Fasting once or twice a week should get rid of this issue! :)
I actually do fast....every other day! And I don't feed them much at all when I do because I have so many plants and such that they nibble things off of. I use flake food and grab only one to two flakes (depending on size) and crumble well (since my fish are so small).
To be fair this was later on a food day ....and the broccoli stalk had been in there a day and a half.

Guppies are gluttons, and as you say, will find things to pick off plants. Not much you can do about them eating when you aren't feeding. Just feed them little bits as you are and watch for bloating.

Guppies are gluttons, and as you say, will find things to pick off plants. Not much you can do about them eating when you aren't feeding. Just feed them little bits as you are and watch for bloating.
Oh I've learned that they are indeed gluttons. I had a post a little while ago about one being so bloated I thought he'd pop! I actually had him out for 4 days in and out of epsom salt baths. I thought for sure I was going to lose him. But I didn't.
It was back when I was trying to figure out how to get veggies to my oto cats w/out having the guppies scare them away from it...
So I was putting a pea at the bottom for the guppies (one stupid little pea) which the guppy gorged himself on and got so bloated he almost died.
Not the sharpest tools in the shed!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back