Tetras With Altum Angels

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BambooTurtles

Reaction score
  Hello ,  I would like to put a group of tetras with my angles .... im not sure which species are fin nippers and which are not. Any suggestions ?
 Thank you :)

I was thinking Red Phantom ( NOT Red Seperae )
 Black Phantom or ??????

have a look at nematobrycon palmeri. Too big to be food, colourful and bold enough to cope with the angels territorial behaviour. They are equally as territorial as angels and so make good tank mates. There is another tetra which is similar to the palmeri (both are often labelled as emperor tetra) and those are non-territorial and will shoal, if that is what you like. Those are Inpaichthys Kerri 

Neither of these fish are nippy (I have both in with my angels and they just ignore them) but they are best in a group of ten or more :)

The disk-shaped characins are usually good with angelfish.  The Rosy Tetra, Red Phantom, Black Phonatom, and a few others are in this "clade" as it is sometimes called.  These tend to be quiet, and not prone to fin nipping.  The Serpae which you mentioned is also in this clade, but it is prone to fin nip as you know and only shows that not ever fish in a clade will work.

The medium to larger rasbora usually work, as they too are peaceful and not active swimmers.

You generally want to avoid linear small fish, such as neons, cardinals, rummys, and the others.  While there is no doubt that this sometimes works, it is a risk.  Having all the other fish in the tank, and at mature size, before introducing the angelfish has been said to reduce the chance of problems.  This makes sense, because the angelfish are highly territorial, and if they are the first fish the space can quickly become "theirs."  As you already seem to have the group of angelfish, this is something to be very careful about.

The tank size is not mentioned, nor the angelfish group size, and obviously this has a big impact on what might or might not work regardless.  If the angels have been alone for some time, say a few months, it is probably best not to risk things.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back