Tetras Not Schooling

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

chibi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I had one Von Rio/Flame tetra for about 2 years. He was a cute, lonely little guy. I couldn't find any place besides Petsmart or Walmart that sold them, and I never buy my fish from there. Well, finally I gave in. I bought 4 more from Petsmart for my little guy. The thing is, they don't school! I have 5 gold tetras in my tank that never stray far from each other, but my Von Rios are always spread apart. I bought them yesterday. Should I give them some time? Are they a species that doesn't school well? Any other reasons? Thanks! :D

Any fish that have been moved will be stressed for a few days or more depending on the species. Stressed fish show atypical behaviour.

Schooling is a defensive behaviour. Fish that feel threatened will form a school to minimise their personal risk. A group of tetras in a crowded small tank are less likely to feel under threat then the same group in a large tank with a lot of open spaces.

Schooling is a defensive behaviour. Fish that feel threatened will form a school to minimise their personal risk. A group of tetras in a crowded small tank are less likely to feel under threat then the same group in a large tank with a lot of open spaces.

OFT: LL, I have a great confirmation to your theory in front of my eyes. 9 baby rainbows (<1") in a 125g tank: the schooling is the most perfect I've seen yet....

I have 6 large Silver Tip Tetras and they don't school at all. They're in a 29g tank with 7 neons, and 5 Phantoms. I think they might be attacking the phantoms, because bits of fins are missing from them... =/

Hasemania nana, (Silver Tips), are, in my experience, not exactly aggressive, but certainly not the quiet peaceful fish that many sources will suggest. I would say they are sub-semi aggressive.

A few days ago I got more fish (check siggy) and now the Silver Tips aren't aggressive at all, and the neons and Phantoms are more active. :good:
But the Siilver Tips are very active fish. Which I like.

Fish like tetras only school if they feel unsettled. The fact that they aren't suggests that they are happy in their environment, so i wouldn't worry too much! :good:

Yes, there aren't many that will school tightly after they have settled in to a tank. Unless of course they are threatened by a tankmate. Rummynose are the only tetras I have kept that continue to school in the classic manner we think of even after they get comfortable.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back