nitrite:0
nitrate:20
kH:Unable to test
gH:Unable to test
tank temp:25

I do a 10% water change every week

Artificial Plants

Other Fish in tank - 2 Zebra Danio's, 4 Cherry Shrimps

For the second time I have purchased 6 neon tetra's from my LFS and within 6 hours every one was dead. I have tried 2 LFS both with no success.

Any advise would be appreciated

Many thanks

how long has your tank been set up? neon tetras need a mature tank, set up 6+ months
also, how do you acclimate them?

you may want to do more than 10% waterchanges - - any reading of ammonia at all says that your tank has not finished a cycle or is having a spike. you always want 0 for ammonia...nothing higher

Did you dechlorinise your water?
Did you cycle the tank?

If you can't tell what your ammonia reading is it's time to look at other test kits. The API box set is highly recommended. Anything above 0 sounds the alarm bells as a possible new tank.

Sorry - should of said tank has been up and running for 9 - 10 months

Fish are acclimatised by floating bag for 30 mins and then over the next 30 mins a small amount of tank water is introduced in to the bag every 5 mins

So they are bagged for an hour following arrival? That's possibly too long but not necessarily the root of this problem. Are any other fish gasping - either using their gills a great deal or rising to the surface frequently?

You might also want to consider your cleaning routine. If you have gravel and a gravel cleaner make sure you reach the bottom of the substrate and don't simple clean the top inch or so - there can be bad stuff hidden deeper down.

Also check Google for Neon Tetra Desease in case you have observed any signs. Something's clearly wrong but there's little information to go on at present.

Did you dechlorinise your tank water?

When I do a water change water is always treated

So they are bagged for an hour following arrival? That's possibly too long but not necessarily the root of this problem. Are any other fish gasping - either using their gills a great deal or rising to the surface frequently?

You might also want to consider your cleaning routine. If you have gravel and a gravel cleaner make sure you reach the bottom of the substrate and don't simple clean the top inch or so - there can be bad stuff hidden deeper down.

Also check Google for Neon Tetra Desease in case you have observed any signs. Something's clearly wrong but there's little information to go on at present.
After the first 30 mins the bags are opened up - the other fish appear fine.

When I water change I use a gravel syphon along the bottom of the tank.

Is your ammonia reading 0 or higher.
What the make of the test kit you are using.

Always check bag water in ph and temp. This way you no how long to climatise the fish for.

Did they show any symtoms before they died.

Tetra don't travel that well, it's quite common to use a few when first bought.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back