Tetra Has Drained Of Color..?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fawkiia

Reaction score
One of my glo-light tetras has drained of color -- I peeked in to my 10 gallon as soon as I got home -- and fed them. The tetra in question has lost that red color in its eye, and partially in its body.

What could be the problems -- and what could I do about it? ):
Of course, tetras are replacable -- but i don't want to lose it, honestly.

I have three tetras in the 10 gallon with a cory cat, and only one has had the dramatic change in color.
I also was not sure where exactly to put this -- because I'm not even sure what to do with it. Because i havent run into anything like this before.

may be better placed over in emergencies, but I'll give this my view anyway....

Loss of colur can be stress, or bacterial, as a result of the stress the infection is putting on them.

How long have they been as a group of three. Both Tetras and corries need to be in groups of 6+ realy, and too smaller group size may be stressing the fish in question. It has been show the fish can count to four. I keep meaning to dig up that sudy and post it on here......

Back on topic :nod: If I ever notice anything unusual I start by doing a waterchange. What are you water stats? It would be a good idea to draw off a sample of water from your tank before starting the water change, and get it tested. If this is a recent problem, and you have been keeping them for a few months, consider reducing the temperature to reduce the speed at which any disease, that may be presant, can spread. :good:

Never medicate a tank untill you have a definate diagnosis. For more help, try posting in the emergency section. They have a pinned topic that tells you what is needed in a post to help. Copy the questions and answer them in your thread as best you can, and the members over there will try their best to help

HTH
Rabbut

Loss of colur can be stress, or bacterial, as a result of the stress the infection is putting on them.

How long have they been as a group of three. Both Tetras and corries need to be in groups of 6+ realy, and too smaller group size may be stressing the fish in question. It has been show the fish can count to four. I keep meaning to dig up that sudy and post it on here......

Back on topic :nod: If I ever notice anything unusual I start by doing a waterchange. What are you water stats? It would be a good idea to draw off a sample of water from your tank before starting the water change, and get it tested. If this is a recent problem, and you have been keeping them for a few months, consider reducing the temperature to reduce the speed at which any disease, that may be presant, can spread. :good:

Never medicate a tank untill you have a definate diagnosis. For more help, try posting in the emergency section. They have a pinned topic that tells you what is needed in a post to help. Copy the questions and answer them in your thread as best you can, and the members over there will try their best to help

HTH
Rabbut

His color returned to normal after i left to buy new fishfood and whatnot. And he seems just like he was. I'm not sure what was up -- but he must've been stressed somehow. I do plan on buying a few more tetras -- but i could only afford 4 at the time (one had died a few after due to lack of eating). This was the first time it was going on -- and he's as happy as can be.

Maybe I just spooked him? Idk. o_o;

My cory does just fine by his lonesome, actually -- and the tetras dont seem to really have an issue with being with three in my 10 gal. They dont stress much, really.

HTH
Rabbut

His color returned to normal after i left to buy new fishfood and whatnot. And he seems just like he was. I'm not sure what was up -- but he must've been stressed somehow. I do plan on buying a few more tetras -- but i could only afford 4 at the time (one had died a few after due to lack of eating). This was the first time it was going on -- and he's as happy as can be.

Maybe I just spooked him? Idk. o_o;

My cory does just fine by his lonesome, actually -- and the tetras dont seem to really have an issue with being with three in my 10 gal. They dont stress much, really.

I have quite a few tetras in my tank, I have noticed that they drain in colour for a few reasons. If they are ill, stressed and when the tank lights go off over night they are sometimes pale in the mornings for a few minutes untill they get active again.

Hope this helps

Regards

Gaz

i used to find too that when the lights were off their colour faded, was the same if you spooked them. I had rummy nose tetras at one point, you couldn't even see the red on the face untill about 10 mins after putting the light on...i miss them :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back