Tetra Carrying Eggs But Not Spawing.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Enna

Reaction score
In my group of ten neon tetra's two or three of them are very plump, I'm assuming they are females carrying eggs. They are not spawning (well I've not seen any), I just wondered if this is ok for the females, the eggs don't ...umm go off inside her? :huh:

Its the same with my congo tetra's, I've had a pair trying to spawn but the other male keeps interruping proceedings, I've no seperate breeding tank but just want reassurance they will be fine.

Not sure about tetras, but my female danios are generally always pretty big and sometimes absolutely HUGE, to the point they look like they will pop, they've only spawned a handful of times that ive seen (guessing all the eggs got eaten by the other fish in the tank) but they are absolutely fine :good:

If your that worried maybe think about grabbing a 5 gal tank with a cheap heater and filter, can get a 5gal tank (just the tank) from pets at home for about 16 quid, the heater and filter i use in mine where under a tenner each and have a go at letting them spawn. Ive got some neons aswell ive seen a couple of them doing something in the plants before which i thought was spawning or courting or something, but none of them look egg bound.

Thanks for the reply Stubert, nice to know its not a problem.

I still might think about getting another tank if I can talk the other half round, be nice to have a try at raising fry. Right off to buy him some steak and beer, that usually does the trick. :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back