test kit recommendations please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mclemony

Reaction score
Hi
A newbie here, I wondered if anybody could recommend a certain make of test kit. Having read the article in practical fishkeeping about nitrate kits the general concensus seems to be they are all just as inaccurate as each other. LFS uses tetra.

Help

Mclemony

1 60L tank with a community of tetras (neon, golden ,amber and flame), albino corys, barbs (tiger and eight barded) and mollies (red, black and dalmation).

Personally I don't think it makes any difference which one you use as long as you use one !!! They all work on much the same basis. I think there are different makes depending on whether you're this side of the pond (UK side) or the other. As you don't give your location, it's pointless recommending one from here if you can't get it there. Welcome to the site :hi: Hope you enjoy your stay and look forward to seeing lots of posts from you.

Well, I use Aq. Pharm. I've used Tetra also, but I find the tubes by AP easier to rinse.
For kids, or if u have kids, the test strips might be a thought. ;)
I'd heard they were a bit less accurate, but still useful...besides that may have changed since.

HiYa and welcome mclemony :thumbs:

If you been reading pfk then I guess your this side of the pond ;)

I like the eSHa quick test strips - just too easy and can be cut in half/thirds to make them more economical.... - they do 5 tests on each strip pH, KH, GH, nitrIte and nitrAte so I'd also recomend another kit for ammonia.....

:)

ill second the ESHA quick test strips. Only starting up but there easy to read and theres not to much waiting around. Im also planning on some Aquamarine Nitrate dip an read for regular testing long term (water changes) as it works out cheaper an there supposed to be fairly accurate. Ammo is also a good plan.
regards,
C

I use both types lol..yes alittle more expensive but...My kids like to "help" mom with the tank. Since a few of them are under the age of 10yrs. I didn't want them messing with the tubes of the tradional test kits..so we use the strips for day to day monitering and then once or twice a month I will use the other.. this way we always know where our tank stands & it incourages the kids in the science end of fishkeeping without dangerous accidents. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back