Tattoed Molly

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dying fish does not involve injections ;)

i will look up an article about it that i have somewhere on my computer to put up here,

and btw before anybody rips into me i neither own nor care to own a dyed or tattoo'd fish,

also for all you parrot fish keepers on here , do you know that most parrot fish are actually dyed ?

the same as a sunset gourami is dyed and not the ones that you lot think are sunset (they get confused with another form of gourami but i cant remember which it is )

i will see if i have that picture to dig out also

katie

Parrots, are okish, i dont like crosses much either LOL

Red, yellow and white are nateral colour's the Green, blue, purple and other mad colours are artificial and will fade over a couple of years.
a friend got a blue at 2" 2 years ago, and after 2 years it now 4-5" and it nateral orange colour with just a little blue is a couple of places.

The artificial colour are injected, lazer dyeid, or somehow dipped with a deep colouring agent of some sort, none sound very nice to the fish.
I've heared that eir acid dipped to strip their colour but this sounds impossible with out killing or causing major damage to the fish.

Most coloured fish are injected like glass fish, corys, silver sharks. and this is what should be stopped.

Nothing worong with nateral fish i say and why kill many to produce a few with pattons and marking......

sunset gourami are dyed? what one's are u thinging of?

The red dwarf gourami? this is the nateral form with out the blue colouration! their not dyed if that what it is.

Most coloured fish are injected like glass fish, corys, silver sharks. and this is what should be stopped.

Yup. The one exception I can think of is Glofish. These were originally designed to help detect pollution, but they found there was a market in the world of aquaria as well. Since the color is the only difference in the fish, they are not a threat to the environment if released. California still has a ban on these, because the company that originally created these fish didn't want to file the paperwork because of the costs invovled, even though California was willing to make an exception for these fish.

Yup. The one exception I can think of is Glofish. These were originally designed to help detect pollution, but they found there was a market in the world of aquaria as well. Since the color is the only difference in the fish, they are not a threat to the environment if released. California still has a ban on these, because the company that originally created these fish didn't want to file the paperwork because of the costs invovled, even though California was willing to make an exception for these fish.

Yep glofish are danio's and rice fish which have a jellyfish gene added to the egg's, this genetic change is fixed and when breed they breed true.

[/quote]
No a personal note

Please Do Not Buy These Horrid Fish
[/quote]

they are not horrid fish thats unfair they didn't have a say wither they wanted to get tattooed or not i don't like fish getting tattooed and you shouldn't buy them but u don't have to call them "horrid fish" they didn't do anything wrong the tattooers did but if your LPS gets them just tell them that its cruel and not to buy them again :angry:

Yes the fish don't have a choice but it's the LFS and their customers that will fuel this practice.

And that quote is my choice of words and yes they are horrid to me. I believe you gotta put blunt statementes sometime to try to stop this practice by stopping the public from buying them.

i have never heard of this tattooing before and i have to say it really disturbs me :angry: really...where will people stop in the effort to earn bigger $$$$$ it hurts people enough to be tattooed but the thought of that delicate fish skin being tattooed...i cant stomach it. makes me wanna cuddle my fishies and let them know i love them hehe big sook i am :blush:

Just a few things I want to mention...

Firstly, about balloon mollies being hybrids - they are not. Hybridization means crossing one species with another. While many of the mollies sold at LFS are hybrids of various molly species, balloon mollies are no more or less likely to be hybrids than normal-bodied fish. The 'balloon' body trait is purely a naturaly occuring genetic characteristic - the result of a random mutation. You also get balloon kissing gouramies and balloon rams, for example. It is the equivalent of getting a dalmatian-patterned molly or lyretail - but this is a mutation that affects body shape instead of color or fins.

Any type of physical damage to a fish is going to lead to stress - both during the process and later when they are re-routing all their resources to focus on healing. The analogy of cutting your finger is wrong. A small cut in a person is nowhere neat the same as the dying/tattoo procedure in fish. Studies have, in fact, shown that chronic stress - in humans - correlates with a shortened lifespan or increased chance of developing health problems. In other animals, stress has been shown to lead directly to death. The same is true of fish when they are damaged physicaly by whatever dying/injecting/tattoing process. It doesn't matter how carefuly or humanely it's done - if it's avoidable (which it undoubtedly is as it's purely cosmetic), it is cruel to put the fish through it and anyone supporting any form of this practice is extremely irresponsible.

The last thing I wanted to add was that, if anything, the difference in color could actually improve the fish' chances of being mated. I don't know of any studies dealing with mollies - but there has been research involving guppies and it seems the fish prefer to mate with individuals as much unlike themselves as possible - presumably because this reduces the chances of inbreeding which, in turn, leads to smaller batches of fry, reduced fertility etc so is selected against.

Seriously?? Some people are actually upset about tattooed mollies? You do realize these are FISH, right? Have any of you actually considered what it is your upset about? Before you start condemning those who may actually enjoy these fish in a collection, consider your own practices please. Where are you drawing the line in the sand here? Is it as gaiagrrrl suggested, and these fish risk losing out in the passing of their DNA through breeding? Is it the possibility of a shortened lifespan? In a world where fish are raised in farms for the sole purpose of sale to the pet market(worldwide must be in the millions or even billions of fish). Humans practice genocide on fish by the billions. We eat them, put them in pet food, and make all sorts of products from them. What do you feed your fish? What is it made out of? How many pet fish die of poor tank conditions? Is the problem with the fact that this practice may cause the fish some temporary pain? If so, I suggest you rethink immunizing your dog, cat, kid, etc. Anthropomorphism is taking a pretty big stand here if you ask me. This kind of thinking is a big part of the downfall of society. I don't need any more rules, period. I really don't want the SPCA raiding my house to check the ph balance in my tank, or being convicted of animal cruelty for spraying for cockroaches. DRAW THE LINE PEOPLE. Just consider where you draw it. If your poor heart can't take the thought of some kid in Guatemala or Singapore tattooing a fish to make a few cents, GET OUT OF THE PET STORE! I am not trying to be rude or cold-hearted, I am just trying to make you think, consider what you say, consider the consequences of the opinions you form.

She should be able to give birth normally, assuming that she hasn't been tattooed recently(stress may play a role).

and note:
With tattooed/"painted" fish..
Man, I have a trio of fruit tetras that have survived beyond my expectation of survival... I've had them for a little over 2 1/2 years. I think it's the stress of being constantly chased down by other fish(poor camouflage)and the actuak dying process that kills them.

Seriously?? Some people are actually upset about tattooed mollies? You do realize these are FISH, right? Have any of you actually considered what it is your upset about? Before you start condemning those who may actually enjoy these fish in a collection, consider your own practices please. Where are you drawing the line in the sand here? Is it as gaiagrrrl suggested, and these fish risk losing out in the passing of their DNA through breeding? Is it the possibility of a shortened lifespan? In a world where fish are raised in farms for the sole purpose of sale to the pet market(worldwide must be in the millions or even billions of fish). Humans practice genocide on fish by the billions. We eat them, put them in pet food, and make all sorts of products from them. What do you feed your fish? What is it made out of? How many pet fish die of poor tank conditions? Is the problem with the fact that this practice may cause the fish some temporary pain? If so, I suggest you rethink immunizing your dog, cat, kid, etc. Anthropomorphism is taking a pretty big stand here if you ask me. This kind of thinking is a big part of the downfall of society. I don't need any more rules, period. I really don't want the SPCA raiding my house to check the ph balance in my tank, or being convicted of animal cruelty for spraying for cockroaches. DRAW THE LINE PEOPLE. Just consider where you draw it. If your poor heart can't take the thought of some kid in Guatemala or Singapore tattooing a fish to make a few cents, GET OUT OF THE PET STORE! I am not trying to be rude or cold-hearted, I am just trying to make you think, consider what you say, consider the consequences of the opinions you form.
I think you're making this into a bigger deal than it really is. Opinions are O.K. in today's society- That's what makes our society functioning. BUT gaiagrrrrl is just trying to ask a simple question and everyone is blowing EVERYTHING out of proportion. The poor girl didn't even know that it was "tattooed" until she brought the fish home. Although, I do agree that people DO need to draw the line at some point. But there shouldn't be opinions for having an opinion- I mean you just stated yours right? then why can't other people do the same? I suppose hypocrisy still reigns supreme in the land of narnia!

It's old, but I just saw fish with purple hearts tattooed on them. I don't like tattoos period, and I think it is sad that we can't appreciate natural beauty. However, people inflict pain on themselves even to look more attractive too (tats, piercings, permanent make up, breast augmentation, liposuction....) so it is not like we are treating those fish any more cruelly than we treat ourselves (except that they do not have a choice). It is also strange how "pet" animals get sympathy and consideration but cows, tuna, etc. do not. In the grand scheme of things, is it really important compared to all of the awful things going on in the world...no...but I think that a lot of people on here are people that really like and care about fish, so of course they will have strong opinions. The thing that angers me is when people say that fish or other creatures do not feel pain, or that they feel reduced pain. I think that is ridiculous. How do we know? Until recently, the "experts" said the same thing about human babies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back