Tap Water Test, Ammonia?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Flash_Fire

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
15459.jpg

I tested my delorinated tap water. It's reading .25 ppm ammonia. I remember reading somewhere that sometime tests can react to something in the water or something...... What do I need to do from here to determine if there is any ammonia in my tank?

Hi, as someone who has had and used ammonia filled ( 0.25-0.5 ppm ) I have learnt that it isn't really an issue. I have tried to track down the culprit for the readings ( be it ammonia or something else ) and have concluded that there is far too many variables that can lead to false tests to properly analyze and test for them all. Generally, 0.25ppm is not enough to harm, and if you have a proper filter, 0.25ppm will be filtered out in a matter of hours. :)

API is notorious for giving low positive results for ammonia. If that's from the tap it should be ok. Just make sure to rinse the test tubes thoroughly and allow them to air dry as any residual reagents from the previous test may be contaminating the test.

Mamashack said:
API is notorious for giving low positive results for ammonia. If that's from the tap it should be ok. Just make sure to rinse the test tubes thoroughly and allow them to air dry as any residual reagents from the previous test may be contaminating the test.
It's tap water plus declorinator.

Test the tap water on its own, without dechlorinator/conditioner added, just the tap water.  Also, you should be able to check with your municipal water board to see if ammonia is present in the tap water.  This would confirm your test results.

Ammonia can be present in tap water, as indeed can nitrite and nitrate.  It is wise to test for all three so you know; once should do it, unless there is reason to assume things will change.  Ammonia as low as .25 should not be a problem.  If the level is higher, you can use a conditioner that detoxifies ammonia, as this will deal with the initial influx at each water change.  And the plants (if any) and bacteria/archaea will easily handle it after that.

Byron.

Byron said:
Test the tap water on its own, without dechlorinator/conditioner added, just the tap water.  Also, you should be able to check with your municipal water board to see if ammonia is present in the tap water.  This would confirm your test results.

Ammonia can be present in tap water, as indeed can nitrite and nitrate.  It is wise to test for all three so you know; once should do it, unless there is reason to assume things will change.  Ammonia as low as .25 should not be a problem.  If the level is higher, you can use a conditioner that detoxifies ammonia, as this will deal with the initial influx at each water change.  And the plants (if any) and bacteria/archaea will easily handle it after that.

Byron.
my concern is the test itself, if it's reading ammonia with none present. Annual water report doesn't mention anything about it. I will test the pure tap water later today though.

Gruntle said:
What does the water in your tank read?
Water in the tank is read .25 ammonia 0 nitrites and 20 nitrates on todays check.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back