What's new

Tanks

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Ian.ryan

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking at getting a Rio 180 tropical tank is the a good tank for a beginner or any recommendations on tanks.

Juwel are one of the better manufacturers. I had a Rio 125 for several years. And 180 litres is a good size for starting.

If you are new to the hobby, you might like to read up on fishless cycling http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/ Knowing how to cycle the tank before you even get the tank will save you from problems.

Two things I would like to comment on -
The filter in the Rio 180. The manufacturer says to change the media (the stuff inside the filter) every few months. Don't. This is to get more money out of you. Sponges only need changing when they fall apart or won't go back to shape after squeezing. Just wash them in water that you've taken out during a water change. If the filter comes with cirax, that needs changing when it crumbles to dust. Just swoosh it in old tank water.
If the filter contains a green nitrate sponge, it doesn't work to remove nitrate. just treat it the same as a blue sponge.

Shops - don't believe anything they say till you've researched it for yourself. So many shop workers don't know or don't care and will say anything to make a sale. They don't believe in fishless cycling, for example, which is something we always recommend on the forum. While the tank is cycling, you can visit shops to look at fish - but ask on here or look the fish up on http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ before buying.

Thanks for the advice and help essjay, I will have a read up on the areas you have highlighted, Have a great Christmas and new year.

Regards

Ian

One tip for using pet shops, do a little research about what your looking at. Then a few standard questions and when they are relaxed an chatting drop a few questions that may be species specific.

Then see if they stumble then admit a lack of knowledge or just run straight into a diatribe of complete tripe.

As example, this afternoon i picked up some bamboo shrimp, they had them listed as wood shrimp. I asked for the bamboo shrimp, they had amano's and cherries. She went straight to the correct tank, and commented (quietly) on them being hungry as they are nearly impossible to properly feed in the shop.

Not iron clad guarantee of deep knowledge, but she definitely understood the stock she had.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back