TANKMATES FOR SILVER ARROWANA

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

leslie84

Reaction score
Can anyone here recommend tankmates for a Silver Arrrowana that is around 20 cm long? (Currently housed in a 75 gallon tank)

Grim Reaper said:
dont u think thats abit small 4 a Arrrowana???
the thing is I do not want him to become a monster so I only feed him carnivore pellets every 2 days.

I agree with Grim Reaper, Silver arowanas have the potential to grow up to 1 metre! To keep one of these fish for life your looking at a 350 gallon tank, at least 8' long and 4' wide :eek:

If you could upgrade to a (much) larger tank i would suggest adding some larger catfish but until then, i wouldn't spend my money on anything but re-housing it :nod:

Although it may look small, these fish grow quite fast, around an 1" a month while it's young if i remember....so you have a potential monster on your hands.

Edit: i didn't read your above post, i must have been posting at the same time....

Why feed him little becuase you don't want him to become a monster? it's like saying you won't feed a baby becuase you don't want it to grow up! The simple fact of the matter is you purchased a fish which will grow large, or die in the process due to a lack of food/un sutible environment, which isn't the fishes fault.

If you don't want it to grow into a 'moster' give it way/ take it back theres no point in trying to meddle with nature because it simply won't work.

check this link out has some info on silver arrowanas
Information on Silver Arrowana

if u check the 'Tank setup'and 'Comments' on this link u might find that they need bigs spaces to swim around

Edit: No offence but I think u should have done ur research before u went to buy the fish

leslie84 said:
Grim Reaper said:
dont u think thats abit small 4 a Arrrowana???
the thing is I do not want him to become a monster so I only feed him carnivore pellets every 2 days.
Fish that's starving constantly are prone to disease and deformity (their spine becomes curved).

EDIT:
Then there's also a possibility of cannibalism which is some what common among the hungry piscivorous fish.

Even by only feeding the arowana a few pellets every two days it will still grow to at least 2 feet long and require a minimum of a 180g, it will also be sickly and show poor colouration for the duration of its shortened life. Young arowana's need to be fed a lot until they reach around 18 inches when their metabolism slows down, twice daily feeding with carnivor sticks or insects such as crickets and mealworms are the best diet with occassional treats of fish, mussels and cockles, these higher protein foods should only be fed once a week for silver arowanas as they cannot handle fatty foods and end up with conditions known as spoonhead and droopy eye from fat deposits forming in the head.

As the others have said if you know you cannot provide a adequate sized tank for the fish then you should either take it back or make arrangements for somewhere to take the fish for you once it has grown too large for your tank, once the fish is around 14" you will be able to see it needs a much larger tank.

from my point of view u got 3 options
1st Option - returns it to the shop
2nd Option - Give it away 2 someone who has a big tank
3rd Option - Buy a bigger tank

Yes, please don't starve the poor fish. And give it a more suitable diet, please. I know that this isn't what you want to hear, but my advice is to take it back before it's too late. I did the same with a black pacu when I first started out in fishkeeping, and I have been able to keep him-- but now I'm setting up a 2,000 gallon aquarium to keep up with his growth. Normally, I would've given him away quite a few years ago, but he's very personable, and now I've ended up building a 2,000 gallon set up. We all make mistakes with fishkeeping, so my advice is, once again, take it back to the shop that sold it to you, or sell it, and don't worry about it. Go buy a nice rainbow wolffish, or some of the smaller bichirs. Sometimes, fish shops give out faulty information, so you should always research fish before purchasing them. Just today I was at one of the lfs around here, and one of the fish-department staff told a buyer that the 1' long nurse shark that the fish shop was trying to sell only grew to 2', when they grow to 14'. I quickly notified the buyer of that, and they ended not getting the nurse shark, which they were going to cramp into their 55 gallon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back