Tankmates for an established Severum

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ZoddyZod

Constantly learning
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hello all......it's been a while!

I currently have a 4ft 300L with a 3-4yr old Sev dominating the space. The largest fish in there with him is an adult angel (and multiple other tetra, corys, plecs etc.)

I'm upgrading to a 6x2x2 and wondering what other 'larger' cichlids I could consider introducing. Over to you....

What about some swordtails? They would be too big for your severum to eat, but they would also be able to stand up against the angelfish. Just make sure they are compatible with the tetras you have.

maybe Festivum or Keyhole cichlids or Geophagus but it depends on what tetras you have.. But beware, any new cichlids you introduce into the tank, could be bashed by the ones that are already in there. Make sure you rearrange the tank to break up established territories, just before adding the new fish.

My experience with severums is that they are mostly peaceful.

I really wanted to get an electric blue acara, but I feared that it would likely get bullied in my tank. I think acara would go great with your setup. They are pretty peaceful and are very active

The other suggestions are all good ones as well.

To add to the list Firemouths can be pretty cool they are more bark than bite for the most part.

What about another color Severum? Those red severums are beautiful.

Chocolates are peaceful but would probably eat the corys and whatever tetras you have since they get big. I've never kept them before.

Id recommend blood parrot as well. I have one and he's one of my favorite fish. He'll stand up to the Salvini, but really cant do anything beside head charge him.

Gouramis would be an excellent fit.

First vote is electric blue acara.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back