Tank weight

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zain611

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So set up my new tank. I'm happy but also a little scared. Made a big jump on getting a 130 litre tank to replace my 28 litre tank. My dad reinforced the cabinet and secured it to the wall using brackets. The cabinet is just a touch off perfect centre when using a spirit level. We placed the tank and filled it up with water.

The question I have is is this suitable to place upstairs? The floor boards have been changed and secured down. There is also a wooden sheet placed on top beneath the carpet. Just a little worried as this is the first time I've got a big tank and put it upstairs.

Thanks

Your second floor is no weaker than your first floor.
130 liters is about 37 gallons and water weighs 3.76kg/gal or 8.36lbs/gal.
So lets round up to 360lbs/163kgs. Not much more than you and your dad standing there.
It should be fine unless you have some serious structural problem....but I wouldn't worry.

1 litre of water weighs 1 kilogram, so 130 litres plus the tank and cabinet should not be much more than 160kg. The average adult human male is 80kg so your tank will weight about the same as 2 guys. The floor should be fine unless it is rotten. :)

Thanks guys. A little happy now, I actually couldn't sleep as I was that scared :good:

Is the level okay? It's just a touch to the right on a spirit level but within the centre mark. It was the same like this when we measured just the cabinet. My dad put brackets on the wall to bolt on the cabinet to it and we leveled it but after placing the tank and filling it up it went back to the previous level. These brackets my dad put on allow a bit of give as we knew the tank weight might push down on the carpet and flatten it.

My concern is the bolts on the wall and having 160kg hanging off that. However, as long as the stand is on the floor it should be fine.

The only real problem with having the tank slightly unlevel (I hope that's a word) is the polystyrene foam between the tank and stand can sag more on the lower side. This doesn't normally cause an issue but it can look scary. :)

My concern is the bolts on the wall and having 160kg hanging off that. However, as long as the stand is on the floor it should be fine.

The only real problem with having the tank slightly unlevel (I hope that's a word) is the polystyrene foam between the tank and stand can sag more on the lower side. This doesn't normally cause an issue but it can look scary. :)

The bracket my dad put on the wall is mainly put there as a safeguard to prevent the tank from falling over if a child tried to pull on the cabinet. We knew the cabinet might sag a bit down so my dad used a certain bracket which allows it to move with the cabinet. Today he just adjusted the bracket and its near enough dead level. Hopefully it stays like that.

I do have one question. I bought a large red Moor wood piece a month ago and quickly rinsed it yesterday before placing it in the tank. It began to float up in the tank whilst I was filling it with water. How long would it take before it would sink to the bottom? At the moment I have a piece of rock holding it down.

Driftwood can take a few hours to many months to sink. Normally it should start to sink within a few days. It will probably stain the water yellow or brown from the tannins that are released. This is normal and harmless to fish but can make it hard to see into the aquarium. Regular water changes will help dilute any tannins in the water. :)

Driftwood can take a few hours to many months to sink. Normally it should start to sink within a few days. It will probably stain the water yellow or brown from the tannins that are released. This is normal and harmless to fish but can make it hard to see into the aquarium. Regular water changes will help dilute any tannins in the water. :)

Ah right hopefully it sinks soon then. Yes I've noticed there is a yellowish tan in the water. Can carbon remove tannins? The tank came with two filter wool trays which have carbon underneath so might place one in if it can make the water crystal clear.

Carbon can absorb tannins but the driftwood can release tannins for months or even years so big (75%) water changes are usually cheaper than replacing the carbon several times a week.

There are different grades of carbon and the best is Highly Activated carbon, then Activated carbon, then plain old boring carbon. :)

Okay well need to get more buckets. What sort of way do you know that I could add the water in quickly? With the 130 litres it takes a lot longer compared to my 28 litre which only requires one bucket.

Also noticed today the water has gone a little more yellow. Should I move the wood a little to see if it might sink?

Don't bother moving the wood to see if it sinks. You will notice it when it does. Make sure the wood is not floating above the heater because big bits of driftwood can break the heater if they sink on it.

The easiest way to do water changes on big tanks is with a large plastic rubbish bin or plastic storage crate. Get something that holds 100 litres or a couple of 50 litre tubs and fill them with water. Put an airstone in them and add some dechlorinator. Let them aerate for 30 minutes or more and then use a small water pump (Aquaclear, Eheim or similar) with a length of plastic hose to pump the water into the tank. You can use pvc pipe or black irrigation fittings to make a J that gets fitted onto the end of the hose and hangs over the edge of the tank. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back