Tank Stocking Suggestions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

If you do decide on the N. beckfordi pencilfish, a group of 9-12 is advisable. With males as feisty as this species are, decent sized groups will avoid bullying more.

Get a nice big shoal of Rummynose Tetras (Hemigrammus Bleheri) XD they're amazing shoalers.

Get a nice big shoal of Rummynose Tetras (Hemigrammus Bleheri) XD they're amazing shoalers.
Think I'd have any problems between the Rummy nose and the Rosy barbs? I know I can find Rummys around here, I'm not having much luck finding any of the previously suggested species.

I am having trouble finding many of the species mentioned in this thread at any LFS. Ive put together a list of fish that were suggested to me and are definitely available locally for purchase. If anyone sees something on this list that they feel is a bad idea please let me know and I will eliminate it from my possible purchases. Once again thank you everyone for your input.

Harlequin Rasbora ( T. heteromorpha)

Green Panchax (A. blockii)

Zebra Danio (B. rerio)

Celebes Rainbow (M. ladigesi)

Rummy Nose Tetra (H. rhodostomus)

I have 1 more place to check for N. beckfordi but I am doubtful they will have them.

Think I'd have any problems between the Rummy nose and the Rosy barbs? I know I can find Rummys around here, I'm not having much luck finding any of the previously suggested species.

Keep in mind the rummynose tend to remain in the lower third of the water column, and you/we have been looking for suitable upper-level fish. So more lower-level fish is adding fish but all in the same level. Aside from the optics, this can have other issues for the fish themselves.

Sometimes it is best to plan what species you like, and then simply wait for their availability. I don't know where you live, but in the US and Canada it is common to see fish species periodically throughout the year. The commonly-seen species that are tank (commercially) raised will be available more often. Wild caught species maybe only once, or twice, a year, depending on the species. Laws in South American countries for example limit when fish can be caught so there is not a depletion of a species. Adding any fish because it is available just to have fish can turn out to be a mistake down the road when you find something you really do want.

I am having trouble finding many of the species mentioned in this thread at any LFS. Ive put together a list of fish that were suggested to me and are definitely available locally for purchase. If anyone sees something on this list that they feel is a bad idea please let me know and I will eliminate it from my possible purchases. Once again thank you everyone for your input.

Harlequin Rasbora ( T. heteromorpha)

Green Panchax (A. blockii)

Zebra Danio (B. rerio)

Celebes Rainbow (M. ladigesi)

Rummy Nose Tetra (H. rhodostomus)

I have 1 more place to check for N. beckfordi but I am doubtful they will have them.

Harlequin are mid-level fish, and in the way of the barbs, but notwithstanding this species would not be a problem. A. panchax I have not kept, but from the data this seems an ideal fish, surface dweller, and you could have a group. Zebra danio I wold forget; very active, and moreso than the barbs probably, which would not amuse the Ram or the panchax. Rummys I already commented on, another lower-level species. The Celebes Rainbowfish needs harder water, and aside from that, I would not mix it with barbs.

Sometimes it is best to plan what species you like, and then simply wait for their availability. I don't know where you live, but in the US and Canada it is common to see fish species periodically throughout the year.
Agreed, I was getting a bit worried because I asked the staff if they had N. Beckfordi or E. Dageti in the store and if they stock them on occasion. The answer was no, they said I was the first customer to ask for either of those species in years and whenever they get certain species of Killies or Pencilfish in stock they sit in the tanks forever so they aren't planning on ordering them.

Harlequin are mid-level fish, and in the way of the barbs, but notwithstanding this species would not be a problem. A. panchax I have not kept, but from the data this seems an ideal fish, surface dweller, and you could have a group. Zebra danio I wold forget; very active, and moreso than the barbs probably, which would not amuse the Ram or the panchax. Rummys I already commented on, another lower-level species. The Celebes Rainbowfish needs harder water, and aside from that, I would not mix it with barbs.
I wasnt aware that the Zebra Danio was so active and I should have probably noticed that the Celebes needed harder water. The harlequin rasboras were listed as a top dweller so I thought they might work.
But all is not lost, turns out the last LFS has both N. beckfordi and A. blockii in their store so at least have a choice between the 2 species which is excellent!

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back