FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bambii

Reaction score
Hello all,

apologies if I posted in the wrong forum, new around these parts.

I have a blue male Betta. Currently he is in a 3 gallon tank by himself, he's been there for roughly 6 months. Since he's an active fellow, I have recently begun to feel like he needs some more space. My plan was to get him a 10 gallon tank, so he has more room to swim around. I've been playing around with the idea of perhaps trying to add some tankmates, but that wouldn't be until later on. Any suggestions of what size the tank should be if I were to add some tankmates. And if the 10 gallon would be sufficient for himself.

Any suggestions and ideas welcomed. :)

The male Betta splendens is best on its own. Those who claim to have success keeping one in a community tank are lucky, and the luck may not hold. Bettas often take exception to other fish, and in reverse the other fish frequently find nipping the Betta's flowing fins too tempting. For the Betta's sake, he is best alone.

A 10g tank would be a nice space; a 5 gallon also works well. Floating plants will be highly appreciated.

Byron.

bettas are great centerpieces for community tanks. i would go with a 10 gal and then get a few glass catfish or tetras. and if u had enough hiding places u could probably put maybe an amano shrimp:fish::fish::fish:

The male Betta splendens is best on its own.

Bettas are not good community fish. A 10 gallon tank is perfect for one betta on its own. it is too small for the vast majority of tetras and glass catfish.

Last edited:
I had a 10 gal tank with 2 glass catfish and a betta for a long time it worked out really well but i would go for a larger tank if u could nobody wants to buy an aquarium and get only 1 fisho_O

I am sorry I have to be blunt but before posting things like this you should do some research. You may have kept these fish in a 10 gall tank in the past but this was not good for the fish.

Let me explain.

Bettas should not be kept with other fish. They don't need other fish, and coping with other fish invading their territory is stressful for them.

Glass catfish are shoaling fish and must be in a group of at least 6. Assuming you mean these fish http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/kryptopterus-vitreolus/ you will see that they need a tank with a footprint of at least 90 x 30 cm (36 x 12 inches) Your glass catfish would have been very stressed in a tank that was too small and only two of them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back