Tank Seals Failing?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mikaila31

Always Watching
Reaction score
This has been going on for a while, but the silicon seals in my 20gal tank are getting what appear to be water bubbles under them. When you look at them from the inside of the tank they are all bumpy and the bumps are very squishy. I'm pretty sure this is bad. Is there anything I can do to save the seals or the tank? Is their a way to fix it?
tankseals002.jpg

tankseals004.jpg

tankseals005.jpg

tankseals011.jpg

Look like th eseal is "broken" to me... ie water (or air, if left empty) has got under the silicon, I would drain, dry and replace it NOW :(

yea i bought a 75 gal tank and resealed the hole bottom glass its not hard! they sell silicon for aquariums thats what i bought and scrape EVERY BIT of old silicon OUT!! make sure its dry even add rubbing alcohol as it evaporates and cleans the area! then put silicone along the where the glass meets! use ur finger to evenly make a coat of silicon and push it into the corner. let it dry for as long as the pack says and then refil it with water!!! hope i could help

Look like th eseal is "broken" to me... ie water (or air, if left empty) has got under the silicon, I would drain, dry and replace it NOW :(

Thats what I was thinking was happening :sad:. The tank was used dry for about 6 years before I filled it with water, but it is water that is under the silicon. I should be able to replace the tank in two weeks after all my AP class exams are over. Hopefully it will hold up for a few more weeks and not empty itself all over by bedroom floor. I'll buy a new one since this tank has tons of scratches on the glass. I should also look into getting a proper stand and mabey switching it to a 20gal long in stead of high.

I'm hoping it holds too, since it been like that for a couple months now. I'm already in touch w/ someone selling a 20 gal high and stand, not sure if I get it thought. I also have a question the tank I am looking into has been in storage, so how long can a tank be stored before you should start worrying about the seals becoming damaged?

They dont naturally degenerate at all.... Ive had a tank 30 odd years, been in and out of use - stored dry several times !
Its when they are mistreated or left damp... when fungus creeps under the edge (look in your bathroom to see what happens around the bath !) that problems occur... you really have to look at it for yourself, but silicon is cheap - and its quite easy to do.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back