Tank Problems

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

EmmanuelSabado

Reaction score
So hi guys I'm back my mom bought me a 20 gallon tank and the good news is the two angelfish stopped fighting at last! Now, as you know, I have 3 female goldfish and two angels. And my mom's planning to buy another angel. Is the 20 gallon tank enough for them?

No. A twenty gallon is not enough for one of any of your species of fish, I'm afraid. 

For a single goldfish (assuming it is a fancy variety) will need somewhere around 30-40 gallons, add roughly 10 gallons per additional goldfish. For non-fancy varieties (such as comets), you should be looking at a pond, no less than 150 gallons for the first specimen.

Angelfish are deep bodied fish and as such they need very deep tanks. Nothing less than 18 inches in height. As far as volume, for a single angel, you need around 30-40 gallons (though this is the shallow end and debatable), for a group, you really have to look at dimensions and not so much volume, as they get territorial and need their own space. 

What I meant about the dimensions is that you need to look into four foot or longer tanks while maintaining that 18 inch depth. The dimensions of this tank are irrelevant. It's just too small to accommodate any of your fish. I would look into two upgrades or rehoming your current fish and getting suitable species for this tank. 

Tanks too small, angles will likely develope bent/crocked fins and even fight, amongst other problems

I would also try and stop your mom buying another angel.

Angels can be very aggressive, and also like to chose their own mates. Two random angels are very unlikely to get on, and a third will most likely be badly bullied, or even killed by your current angels.

Angels really need to be kept as single fish, mated pairs, or in a group of six or seven (which your tank is, in no way, big enough for).

I'm sorry to tell you that I agree with the replies above.

Your tank is just too small for any of the species that you currently own. Besides, goldfish and angelfish are a bad combination since they both require different temperatures. The goldfish want lower temperatures while the angels require a higher temperature. 

I'would suggest that you do not buy a new angel and sell your current fish. Instead you could buy some smaller fish. These smaller fish can also be intersting.

Some examples
-Dwarfgourami
-P.gertrudae
-Otocinclus species
-small corydoras species
-small tetras

I am just going to reinforce what has already been mentioned here and in your first post.  For those who are not aware, these 5 fish started out in a 5 gallon and apparently based on the comments in the other posting, the OP decided to upgrade to a 20 gallon.

Emmanuel,  Please do not add any more fish to this mix and please look into returning the fish you have or finding them a new home. This is really your only option to ensure that you and the fish both have an enjoyable experience in this new hobby.

Also, please make sure you read the threads on cycling your tank. If you are currently in the cycle process, you will most likely lose all of your fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back