Tank Problem

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Luca123

Reaction score
Hey Everyone , I've had my tank for close to around 5 months , and everything was always fine started with a beta fish and 6 harlequin Rasbora's and some catfish. Usually I do 10,20,50% water changes depending on the need but yesterday I did an almost complete water change because the gravel was extremely dirty. When I acclimated them and put them back in they were fine, however this morning the Rasbora's are at the bottom in a school not moving and my better is just resting in a rock I have. Did I do something wrong ?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Did you use a dechlorinator on the new water before adding it to the tank?

Did you wash the filter out as well?

Can you test the tank water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH and post the results here?

---------------------------
As a general rule you can change large amounts of tank water but the new water must be free of chlorine/ chloramine and have a similar pH and temperature to the old tank water. You also leave the fish in the tank and use a gravel cleaner (see image in following link) to remove the gunk from the gravel.
https://www.about-goldfish.com/aquarium-cleaning.html

There is a possibility there was some chlorine/ chloramine in the tank when you added the fish, or the new water had a different pH or GH (general hardness) to the old tank water.

At this stage I would suggest adding a full dose of dechlorinator to the tank and then letting everything run for a few days and see how they go. The fish should recover and start acting more normally in a day or so assuming they haven't been seriously damaged.

Additionally, you should never remove the fish when doing a water change. Use a water changer like the one linked in post #2, change 50-60% of the tank volume, use a conditioner, and all should be well.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back