Tank Mates For Bristlenose Catfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shrew

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have a pair of bristlenose catfish which breed so i moved the other fish from that tank to my other tank now the tank looks so empty can anysuggest a fish that can go with them i was thinking of a male betta but in the betta section of the forum they said not a good idea. i am wanting a centerpiece fish. the tank is a roma 90 with gravel bog wood fake plants and wood am i getting a fluval u3 filter to keep up with catfish i do 15% water change and gravel vac.

thanks in advance

i have a pair of bristlenose catfish which breed so i moved the other fish from that tank to my other tank now the tank looks so empty can anysuggest a fish that can go with them i was thinking of a male betta but in the betta section of the forum they said not a good idea. i am wanting a centerpiece fish. the tank is a roma 90 with gravel bog wood fake plants and wood am i getting a fluval u3 filter to keep up with catfish i do 15% water change and gravel vac.

thanks in advance

I cant honestly see whats wrong with a singel male betta, i have 6 in a tank with numerous young bristlenoses, they dont seem to bother each other at all.

this is what they put in the betta section
well i wouldnt if i were you as when the bristlenoses breed if the betta went near the eggs the catfish would beat him up really bad

and its also pretty likely that the betta would go near the eggs as the enquisitive little fish

pretty sure the bn would just chase him away some and that would be that

If you like livebearers you could get Mollys or Platies. If not, look at some Gouramis

Any predatory fish, including platies, guppies, bettas and many more, will be chased from the scene of a breeding bristlenose by the male who is guarding the eggs. That does not mean that any of those fish can't be kept in the same tank. Betta fanatics often will tell you that no matter what fish you are considering, it will not work with a betta. You can't blame those people, it is just their nature. I keep a couple of Betta splendens just as I would other fish about their size and temperament in my tanks. One of them shares a tank with some juvenile albino bristlenose plecs in an otherwise all endler tank. The betta's job is to help hold down the numbers of endlers, but I am considering firing him. He is lousy at that job and just waits around for me to feed him, even if he is face to face with a newborn endler only an inch in front of his nose. He even feeds with the newborn endlers when I sprinkle food into that tank.

i am going to my lfs tomorrow i am going to get 5 corys of some sort, 6 glowlight tetras and some cherry shrimp. i want a group of diffrent tetras can anyone suggest any thanks

flame tetras (hyphessobrycon flammeus) or just the usual rummynose/cardinal/neons/blackneons

i am going to my lfs tomorrow i am going to get 5 corys of some sort, 6 glowlight tetras and some cherry shrimp. i want a group of diffrent tetras can anyone suggest any thanks

How big is your tank? My fave fish at the moment is a shoal of 6 redline torpedos barbs. As for tetras I'm a fan of cardinals, but have been looking at getting some lemon tetras for my zebra tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back