Tank Mates For Boesemani Rainbow Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

davejcollins

Reaction score
Hi

Recently moved my Fish from my 4ft to 6ft tank
Current fish are clown loaches, torpedo / denisoni barbs, ottos and boesemani rainbow fish.
To be honest, I am not a huge fan of the boesemani rainbows but they were my first fish - may try to offload them but don't fancy just giving them back to LFS

Anyway.... The top of the tank is a bit empty as all the fish tend to stay at the bottom or middle of the tank. I think a large group of small schooling fish would be good. Looking at rasboras or tetras (lemon, rummy nose?) - any thoughts on the boesemani rainbows eating them ?

Tank ph is 7.2, temp 25, fair bit of flow 9x volume as all the current fish appreciate that.

Dave

Celebes half beak will stick close to the surface and a decent size and are very fast if a rainbow fish has a pop or any other fish has a pop

the bows won't eat either of those tetras. I've keep mine with rummies before and they got along great. Currently mine live with emperor tetras, rosey barbs, and golden pencilfish.

Celebes half beak will stick close to the surface and a decent size and are very fast if a rainbow fish has a pop or any other fish has a pop
Interesting .... Never heard of them (more importantly I never saw them in a LFS in Ireland). Thanks for the advice

the bows won't eat either of those tetras. I've keep mine with rummies before and they got along great. Currently mine live with emperor tetras, rosey barbs, and golden pencilfish.

Great - thanks. The rummies are a lovely fish

Torpedo Barbs and Clown Loaches both love a strong current, but in no uncertain terms should they be permanently kept in the same tank, one is a temperate fish that should spend half the year at <20C and one is a high end tropical that has 25C at its minimum requirement.

Nothing springs to mind right now, but you are looking for a riverine species that also looks a strong current with 25C its minimum or very close to its minimum temp, otherwise I would have suggested Giant Danios.If such a top dweller exists, it also needs to be quite boisterous, to cope with the typical feeding frenzy of a mob of Bosemani, ruling out more common upper water dwellers like African Butterfly Fish; Halfbeaks; Hatchetfish; Forktail Rainbowfish; most gourami species etc.

Torpedo Barbs and Clown Loaches both love a strong current, but in no uncertain terms should they be permanently kept in the same tank, one is a temperate fish that should spend half the year at <20C and one is a high end tropical that has 25C at its minimum requirement.

Nothing springs to mind right now, but you are looking for a riverine species that also looks a strong current with 25C its minimum or very close to its minimum temp, otherwise I would have suggested Giant Danios.If such a top dweller exists, it also needs to be quite boisterous, to cope with the typical feeding frenzy of a mob of Bosemani, ruling out more common upper water dwellers like African Butterfly Fish; Halfbeaks; Hatchetfish; Forktail Rainbowfish; most gourami species etc.

Thanks for feedback - the denisoni are doing very well at the moment - they have coloured up beautifully since I got them and they feed very well. I know they tend to like cooler temperatures but I have seen various examples of them even being kept at much higher temperatures with discus. In general, all my reading suggests that they are very adaptable to a range of parameters / temperatures. I will certainly keep a close eye on them and act if / when necessary)

Most reactions

Back