Tank Mates For A Platy?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Spitter33

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a 10gallon planted tank. I have two platies in it right now (I plan on picking up a third in a couple days, but they only had two I wanted today). 

What fish go best with Platies? I've looked up a few but there's so much misinformation out there! 

Also, while at the store today I saw a silver frog, I've never seen one of these before and it really caught my eye! Anyone know much about these? Would one of these be fine with some Platies? 

Don't know about the frog but the platies will go best with other livebearers or non aggressive fish. :d

Mollies
Other Platies
Small Plecos
Guppies
Tetras
Peacock Gudgeons
Anything  that wont attack really...

DONT HOUSE
Koi
Goldfish
Cichlids
Large Plecos
Hungry Cats
Curious Children

Other fish that are non-aggressive and not too big and have the same water hardness/temp requirements will be fine 

RyanTheFishGuy64 said:
Mollies
Other Platies
Small Plecos
Guppies
Tetras
Peacock Gudgeons

DONT HOUSE
Koi
Goldfish
Cichlids
Large Plecos
Hungry Cats
Curious Children
Love it. Lol
Last 2 parts

my tank has 12 platys, I also have tetras, mollies, and pleco and catfish they all get along

Don't know about the frog but platies get along with guppies, mollies, tetras, corydora catfish and plecos :)

Ten gallons is really too small for a group of platys. Recommended size is usually 15-20 gallons. 

For two platys, general community fish would work fine. They tend to like harder water, but do well with most water, provided it isn't in the extremes. Do you know if you have a mixed pair of platys?
RyanTheFishGuy64 said:
Mollies
Other Platies
Small Plecos
Guppies
Tetras
Peacock Gudgeons

DONT HOUSE
Koi
Goldfish
Cichlids
Large Plecos
Hungry Cats
Curious Children
Mollies require a 30 plus gallon aquarium.
There is not a pleco suitable for a ten gallon.
Most tetras need a larger tank due to their schooling nature, but there are some which work in a ten. 
Peacock gudgeons would be okay, so long as there are plenty of plants and caves.
"Anything that won't attack..." A common pleco wouldn't attack a platy. That's not really the best advice to give someone. :/

Ember tetras may work well with your platys. They are great nano fish, but they do need about six (eight or more is ideal) to be comfortable.

I agree, a 10 gallon has no room for more than your three platy.  They will (or should) grow you know, up to 5cm/2 inches for males and 8cm/3 inches for females.

Byron.

Thanks for all the replies! Although I have an issue now...

I should probably start a new thread for this, but I'm sure there's enough as there is already so I'll just ask here. 

The platies were fine yesterday (I just bought them yesterday), they were very active. I woke up this morning and they were near the bottom of the tank, probably just sleeping. I got home from work and they were still there. They're moving around a bit, but not very active at all. They'll just hang around the bottom, going from one hiding spot to another. Taking cover under the thicker plants. 

They never leave each others side though. And they're the only two in the tank. So I'm unsure of what's happening here.

I don't know if they're male or female, but they are both the same gender (or so I was told). The also both came from different tanks, so the chance of them both coming from a contaminated tank making them sick is slim. And my water is perfectly fine. 

Any reasons for this? I thought platies were supposed to be fairly active.

This is not good.  How did you acclimatize the fish yesterday?  I don't know your experience level, so I'll just explain that acclimatization is the process we use to introduce new fish to the tank.  If the change from the bag water to the tank water was substantial (temperature, GH, pH, etc) this can shock fish.  A gradual acclimatation is necessary.  One of us can explain later if needed.

Anopther possible is the tank water itself is not to their liking.  When you say your water is fine, what are the numbers?  Can you test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?  What is the temperature?  Do you know the GH and pH?  Are you adding any substances to the tank, for the plants, or generally?

Byron.

When I got the fish I put the bags into the tank and let them sit for about 10 minutes maybe. I then put them in and they seemed great that first day. 

I can only test ammonia, but my ammonia is at about 0.15ish which I know isn't perfect but its not to bad I'm thinking, especially since Platties are hardy fish. (I tested the PetSmart water they came in, and it was a little above .50!) 

I'm doing a silent cycle with my tank, that's why I don't have all the test kits because I was told I wouldn't really need them as the cycle kind of goes on in the back ground without any spikes in ammonia or nitrates or anything. But I did buy an API ammonia test kit just to be safe. 

In my 10 Gallon tank I have:

3 Cobomba plants
3 Water Wisteria
2 Moneywort

I let the plants grow a little on their own for about a week before adding the fish, I've also been adding Flourish to the tank to promote plant growth. (Just a couple of drops once a week, I've only added it twice so far.) And, of course, water conditioner when filling the tank. But those are the only things I've added to the water.

They did come out and swim around for a while right after I posted that. They zipped around the tank a few times, I tried to feed them but whenever I walk towards the tank or put my hand over the tank to drop food in they hide again. They swam around for a couple minutes together but are now back in their little corner. 

Also, I'm not 100% on the tempature. I have an Aqueon 100W heater. The heater is set at 78F but my thermometer reads 84F

This has been bothering me because 84F is way to warm for the fish. But I don't know which one is right. I kind of trust my $35 heater more than this $2 thermometer I picked up at Wal-Mart! 

Last night I turned the heater all the way down to its lowest setting, 68F, and the thermometer read about 76F which I thought was good. Because I trusted the thermometer over the heater. But now I'm thinking the heater might be right and turned it back to 78F, but the thermometer reading 84F freaks me out a little...

Part of your issue is the ammonia. You don't have enough plants for a silent cycle to really work well. 

Another thing I'm seeing is the temperature change. They could be in shock. If your thermometer is a mercury thermometer, then it is likely accurate. If it is one of those stick on ones for the outside, it likely is not as accurate. That's a twelve degree temperature difference which could very well be hurting them. Slowly adjust the heater to 70F (which seems like it would actually be 78F). Change it one degree an hour until it is properly adjusted. Do a water change of about twenty-five percent, get some more plants, and then see how they do.

I concur with attibones, except that I suspect your silent cycle should work here.  Two platies will not produce much ammonia, and with fast growing plants like Cabomba, Wisteria and Moneywort (all being stem plants, and stem plants are fast growing plants) this alone would not be an issue.  So we are left with the acclimatization and/or the condition of the fish.

On the ammonia in the bag water, this is not to be wondered at.  On the way home, those fish in the bag were under severe stress, and thus respirating more than normal and thus producing ammonia.  This is one reason we want to get home fast and get the fish acclimated.

A brief explanation of how to acclimate fish.  Float the bag in the tank as you did.  I usually carefully remove some of the bag water first, as I want to add water from the tank.  Wait a few minutes especially if to your hand the temperature between tank and bag water is different.  Then add some tank water to the bag, making sure it remains floating and the bag water does not enter the tank through all of this procedure.  Wait 10-20 minutes, then add more tank water.  I usually add about half a cup to a cup each time, depending upon bag size.  Do this a couple times.  Then carefully net the fish out of the bag into the tank; do not pour them out, as bag water will get into the tank and this you do not want.  Some fish take to a new environment readily, some do not.  The stress from store to your tank impacts on this too.

Don't worry about feeding them for the first day or two.  Leave them alone, let them settle.  If they want to hide, let them.  Once they are settled, and provided no injury was done, they should be OK.

On the temp, I agree this has to be resolved.  Heaters often--very often--do not function at the set temperature.  I have very good heaters that when set at 72F maintain the tank at 77F.  This doesn't matter, but you do need a good thermometer as attibones said to know the tank temperature.  The mercury glass thermometers are more reliable than the stick-on, and they come with a suction cup to attach them to one corner of the tank.  Choose a corner away from the heater.  Adjust the heater in stages as attibones said until the tank temp is around 76-77F.  This is sufficient for platies.  At higher temperatures, even though they can manage, they will have to work harder to carry out their physiological processes, and this wears them out.  And you do not want to be fluctuating the temp like this, that also adds stress.

Keep us posted.

Byron.

Here's a little update:

It's day 4 I believe, and they finally ate for the first time. But they didn't eat much. But the thing is, I think they've been secretly eating my plants all this time. I've caught them nibbling on the Wisteria quite a bit here and there, so I'm assuming they've been eating that. They don't seem to be interested in the flakes or bloodworms I tried giving them. 

They're a little more active but still not very active. The tempature is still an issue, I'm going to have to pick up a second thermometer and see if that's the problem because I set the heater at 72 like suggested, it's been over 24 hours and the thermometer is still reading 82. Even back when I turned the heater almost completely off (because the thermometer was reading almost 90) the tempature was still just below 80 according to the thermometer which just can't be possible. It doesn't even feel like 80 at all. 

I don't want to keep fluctuating the tempature though so I've been leaving it at 72, assuming it might really be around 75-76. I know neither is good, but what's worse... to cold or to hot?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back