Tank Mate For My Betta In A 5 Gallon

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CrustyOnEastCoast

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Okay, so the LFS guy told me my betta would be fine with a honey gourami in my 5 gallon tank. Well, it is not working out. During the first week, the betta was just chasing the honey gourami a little bit. Now, the betta constantly chases him, mouth wide open trying to bite, just stopping to rest!

I really want to put one more fish in the tank. Can I really put a corydoras catfish in there instead, or is the tank just too small? Something else? If not another fish, at least a crab or something?

Thanks!

Okay, so the LFS guy told me my betta would be fine with a honey gourami in my 5 gallon tank. Well, it is not working out. During the first week, the betta was just chasing the honey gourami a little bit. Now, the betta constantly chases him, mouth wide open trying to bite, just stopping to rest!

I really want to put one more fish in the tank. Can I really put a corydoras catfish in there instead, or is the tank just too small? Something else? If not another fish, at least a crab or something?

Thanks!

Some pygmy corydoras should fit in nicely. If not, then he may just be better on his own.
As to how many, I'm not sure. Just wait for others with a little more info to comment :good:

Grouramis and Better should not be mixed between the two and not between different species of each. For example, keep one one species of gourami per aquarium, or only one species of Betta.

Corys should be kept in groups of 6+. Personally, I would consider adding 6 espei rasboras (NOT harlequin) or 6 ember tetras.

Kitty Kat: It is just a 5 U.S. gallon tank. Can I really fit 6 of either of those fish you mentioned? Are they really that small? (1/2 inch each)?

Naturally the kids are upset about trading in the Gourami (Daddy's mistake, I know). Anyway, maybe I can put some type of home-made divider in the tank .. with some holes in it for water to pass through so the filter and heater handle the whole tank.

You could put 2 platys or glass catfish in with the betta, but take the gourami out. They are not compatible with each other.

Kitty Kat: It is just a 5 U.S. gallon tank. Can I really fit 6 of either of those fish you mentioned? Are they really that small? (1/2 inch each)?
A Betta will eat most 1/2 inch fish. Both species I mentioned grow to 1 inch, but they are both also schooling fish so should be kept in groups of 6+. They're pretty much your own option.. Although maybe 6 dwarf or pigmy Corys (also 1 inch) could be an alternative but they do need sand.

Naturally the kids are upset about trading in the Gourami (Daddy's mistake, I know). Anyway, maybe I can put some type of home-made divider in the tank .. with some holes in it for water to pass through so the filter and heater handle the whole tank.
Neither side will be enough for either fish then. Also gouramis really should have at least a 2 ft tank.

You could put 2 platys or glass catfish in with the betta, but take the gourami out. They are not compatible with each other.
Platy would work, but the tank is too small. Glass catfish definitely would not because they really do suffer if not kept in large groups (10 or more) and the tank is by far too small for them.

Are a few Endlers not an option? Or some Galaxies?

hi,

would endlers be ok with a betta or do they nip fins? i just put mine in a new 32 liter/ 8.5sh us gal tank and am looking for some fish to go in with it. if i go for corydoras, which ones and how many would u recommend? i know they should be 6+ but i don't think the tank is big enough. i like the idea of endlers tho... thanks

would endlers be ok with a betta or do they nip fins? i just put mine in a new 32 liter/ 8.5sh us gal tank and am looking for some fish to go in with it. if i go for corydoras, which ones and how many would u recommend? i know they should be 6+ but i don't think the tank is big enough. i like the idea of endlers tho... thanks
Endlers don't really have much of fancy fins and can swim decently (unlike fancy guppies) so I have not had any trouble keeping Endlers and Bettas together.

6 Corydoras pygmaeus or 6 C. hastatus would go very well into your tank, even alongside 6 male Endlers and especially so if you have a reasonable filter and some live plants.

Lol I don't think he is but with fish you never know till you know do you.

Worth a try though I spose, thanks :)

I can totally recommend endlers. I bought 3 males the other day and they're real characters :good:

Most reactions

Back