tank location

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

anitelite

Reaction score
I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank located in a corner of the house not far from a window. Its been there for many years. It has lots of driftwood, plastic plants, and other "hiding" places for the fish. I have three bottom feeders and 2 tetra types of schooling fish. All up around 10 small fish. I don't overfeed, do regular water changes, etc and from all appearances, the fish seem healthy. But they seem absolutely terrified. Most of the time they lurk behind the darkest corner of the tank and seldom come out, even when food is put out two or three times a week. I know that as a general rule, dark is better than light, but at the moment, my location choices are pretty limited.

So....is this a question of the fish afraid of other fish, too much decor in the tank, or this their 2 footed fish master's presence an issue?

Suggestions ?

It would help if we knew exactly what species of fish you have; if you don't know, can you post some pictures so we can identify them for you.

Do you have lights on the tank and, if so, how long do you have them on for?

Why are you only feeding two or three times a week?

ok....i've attached a picture of some of the fish that stay off in the corner.

I have a flourescent tube light across the top that I turn on sometimes in the evening.

I always thought overfeeding was a problem, so I try to limit the food to 2-3 times per week.
tank0411k17.jpg

I have a flourescent tube light across the top that I turn on sometimes in the evening.

This implies the light is off most of the time. Is that correct?

Like all animals (including people) it takes time for the eyes to adjust to a sudden change in light. So if the lights have been off most of the day and then you suddenly turn on the light the fish will dart to the dark spots. And if you leave a couple of minutes later after feeding the fish and turn off the light the fish will come out after their eyes have readjusted to the dark.

ON my tank I have equipped may tank with a ramp timer.When the light does turn on it does so at only 1% of full brightness. The gradually brightens up until about 30min later when it is at full brightness. I did this after observing my fish darting for cover when the light turns on.

The second issue is that if the fish seldom see you, your sudden appearance may scare them into hiding. When fish see you more often they see you as less of a threat. My fish like to stay in the plants. However when I get home they swim out where I can see them. they know that they will be getting food soon.

The third issue with lighting is that it does affect the biochemistry of the mind. Too much light might adversely affect the sleep of people. Same for a fish. We all evolved in a world where the light is always on for about 12 hours a day. Aquarium lights should be on a timer so that the fish all get the same amount of light every day. This will affect their activity and social life and matting. Being in a dark room all day may not be good for them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back