Tank infested with tiny snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ellahblue

Reaction score
Hi, I purchased live plants a while back and now my tank is over run with tiny red snails. The pet shop I purchased from confirmed they had a problem with plants full of snail eggs “undetected at the time apparently”. They’ve also told me they cannot but in stuff to add to the tank to kill these off nor can they purchase assassin snails. I vacuum as much as I can and scoop out what I can, also purchased 2 loaches unfortunately small ones as that’s all they had. Please someone or suggest what I can do....snail invasion !!

Can you post a picture of the snail so we know which species we are dealing with?

How long has the tank been set up for and what else is in the tank?

If there are no shrimp in the tank you can use half strength copper sulphate, and it will kill most species of snail, but it won't kill Malaysian livebearing snails.

If you don't put food in the tank for a couple of days and then put an algae wafer in at night, the snails will quickly gather on the algae wafer and you can scoop them out with a net. The fish won't starve without food for a couple of days and if you check the wafer every 15minutes or so after putting it in, you should be able to scoop a few out.
Make sure you remove the wafer before you go to bed so the snails don't get a free feed.

You can also squish them with your thumb and the loaches and other fish will pick them up.

, also purchased 2 loaches unfortunately small ones as that’s all they had

Hi, welcome to TTF :hi:

I'm a tad concerned that you have purchased a couple of loaches simply to help with a snail invasion. What sort of loaches are they? What size is your tank, how long has it been set up, who else lives in there?

Build a snail trap. The reason the snail population is exploding is because there is lots of food for them to eat.

Do not add copper sulphate to the tank if you intend to keep inverts like shrimp or Mystery snails.

Can you post a picture of the snail so we know which species we are dealing with?

How long has the tank been set up for and what else is in the tank?

If there are no shrimp in the tank you can use half strength copper sulphate, and it will kill most species of snail, but it won't kill Malaysian livebearing snails.

If you don't put food in the tank for a couple of days and then put an algae wafer in at night, the snails will quickly gather on the algae wafer and you can scoop them out with a net. The fish won't starve without food for a couple of days and if you check the wafer every 15minutes or so after putting it in, you should be able to scoop a few out.
Make sure you remove the wafer before you go to bed so the snails don't get a free feed.

You can also squish them with your thumb and the loaches and other fish will pick them up.

Hi, I have had the tank set up for roughly 13months, its 800ltrs, I have a 2700Nautilus pump/filter plus air bubblers etc. I have molly's, algae eaters, bristle nose catfish, 1 rather huge black catfish, tetra's, loaches and guarami's. Other than that I have ornaments, couple of plastic plants and whats left of a live plant as the large catfish eats it. Only problem with putting in algae wafers is the algae eaters and bristle nose will get to them first. I stress not feeding the fish but if that's the choice I am left with then so be it. I just cannot get on top of it and doing a water change every other day basically so I can vacuum out as much as I can is taking its toll on our water consumption as we are on a farm and only rely on rain water tanks :(, being as its rained in some time I need to be conservative.
I scooped some out to take a photo so am hoping its clear enough.

Attachments

• IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    542.6 KB · Views: 309
Hi, welcome to TTF :hi:

I'm a tad concerned that you have purchased a couple of loaches simply to help with a snail invasion. What sort of loaches are they? What size is your tank, how long has it been set up, who else lives in there?
Hi, the only reason I purchased the loaches as unfortunately no pet shop in Western Australia sell assassin snails nor can I seem to find anything I can add to the tank to kill off the snails. I posted what I have in my tank in another post. Thank you

Return the loaches to the shop, Assassin snails are illegal in Australia.

Those are Ramshorn snails if you want to get rid of them safely get some No Planaria and use as directed on the packet, It will kill all the snails. Unlike copper No Planaria is biodegradable.

Genchem No Planaria 50g. Control Planaria in 72hrs and Shrimp Safe.

Fun fact

Did you know people pay around $4 AUD each for them?

https://www.livefish.com.au/tropica...ail-deal-free-shipping-planorbis-corneus.html

Ps
Fun Fact 2
Assassin snails are worth about $70 each on the black market in Australia.

Last edited:
good luck catching the loaches out of your tank if you want to return them, 800 litres is a big tank :) I would add a few more loaches so there is a group of them.

-----------------------
Fish don't eat to keep their bodies warm because they take their body temperature from the surrounding environment (water). This means any food they eat is used for moving about and growing. Because of this fish can go for weeks or even months with no food. A couple of days without food will not harm them at all.

-----------------------
You could try the snail trap from Nick's post and put the food in it. The catfish will not be able to get the wafer but the snails will.

I have never used No Planaria but it is made from Betel nut, which is a plant from New Guinea and the people chew it for a buzz, a bit like tobacco. So it should be safe.

----------------------
You mention doing water changes every other day. Why are you doing so many water changes?
If it's to control snails, water changes don't do anything. If you have an ammonia problem then reduce feeding to twice a week and do 75% water changes and complete gravel cleans.

In a big tank like yours, I would use a 2 litre plastic drink bottle and a length of plastic hose as a gravel cleaner. It will be quicker and more effective and you can run the hose out the door onto the lawn or garden so the water is not completely wasted.

Hi, I have had the tank set up for roughly 13months, its 800ltrs, I have a 2700Nautilus pump/filter plus air bubblers etc. I have molly's, algae eaters, bristle nose catfish, 1 rather huge black catfish, tetra's, loaches and guarami's. Other than that I have ornaments, couple of plastic plants and whats left of a live plant as the large catfish eats it. Only problem with putting in algae wafers is the algae eaters and bristle nose will get to them first. I stress not feeding the fish but if that's the choice I am left with then so be it. I just cannot get on top of it and doing a water change every other day basically so I can vacuum out as much as I can is taking its toll on our water consumption as we are on a farm and only rely on rain water tanks :(, being as its rained in some time I need to be conservative.
I scooped some out to take a photo so am hoping its clear enough.
I'd go with NickAu's snail trap idea since you have some nocturnal bottom feeders. Another method is refraining from feeding for a few days, place a large lettuce leaf (or two) at the bottom of the tank and remove it once the snails begin to gather. Your BN might try to munch on the lettuce leaf.

Ps

Please note
Killing all the snails in the tank at once will affect your water parameters.

good luck catching the loaches out of your tank if you want to return them, 800 litres is a big tank :) I would add a few more loaches so there is a group of them.

-----------------------
Fish don't eat to keep their bodies warm because they take their body temperature from the surrounding environment (water). This means any food they eat is used for moving about and growing. Because of this fish can go for weeks or even months with no food. A couple of days without food will not harm them at all.

-----------------------
You could try the snail trap from Nick's post and put the food in it. The catfish will not be able to get the wafer but the snails will.

I have never used No Planaria but it is made from Betel nut, which is a plant from New Guinea and the people chew it for a buzz, a bit like tobacco. So it should be safe.

----------------------
You mention doing water changes every other day. Why are you doing so many water changes?
If it's to control snails, water changes don't do anything. If you have an ammonia problem then reduce feeding to twice a week and do 75% water changes and complete gravel cleans.

In a big tank like yours, I would use a 2 litre plastic drink bottle and a length of plastic hose as a gravel cleaner. It will be quicker and more effective and you can run the hose out the door onto the lawn or garden so the water is not completely wasted.
Thank you Colin, I really only do the water changes so I can vaccum up as much of the little creatures as possible and any left over food that may be lurking. It seems No Planaria is also hard to get in Western Australia, I will definitely get onto making a trap and will also try and source some planaria from eastern Australia if need be. I would prefer to keep the loaches as they cost $29.00 each although my tetras are bigger than they are.

Those are Ramshorn snails if you want to get rid of them safely get some No Planaria and use as directed on the packet, It will kill all the snails. Unlike copper No Planaria is biodegradable.

Fun fact

https://www.livefish.com.au/tropica...ail-deal-free-shipping-planorbis-corneus.html

Ps
Fun Fact 2

Fun fact

Ps
Fun Fact 2
Just a quick question , I viewed your video and would love to make a trap however my loaches and quite small and thin....would they not try and get into the trap also?

Yes the loaches will go into the trap. But you should be able to easily separate them afterwards, and loaches are pretty smart, if they can get in they usually work out how to get out.

What sort of loaches are they?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back