Tank Ideas 40 Gallon Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Umber-K

Reaction score
Right now I have a 25 gallon tank with some live plants and fake.
-Aqua Clear 30 filter
-pH 7.5
-Temp 78 degrees Farenheit
-Nitrates 10ppm or less
-Nitrites 0ppm
-Ammonia 0ppm
I do one-two 25% water changes a month this tank has been set up for about 7-8 months now.

My main question is what can I add to the tank now, if anything until I move up into a 40 gallon tank in a few months(3+ months).
Right now I have:
5-1" long fin Serpae Tetras
3-1/2" Black Phantom Tetras
1-1" bent/deformed Serpae Tetra
4-1.5" cory catfish
1-3" Bushnose/Bristlenose Plecostomus

*** All measurements are of the body length, not body+tail***

I would like to add more 3 Black Phantom Tetras and maybe eventually Golden Wonder Killies and/or a Dwarf Gourami

I know these guys get larger so I don't want to overstock a 40 gallon that would hopefully be the final tank I end up with (I dont want an overly large tank for my living room area).

Eventual plans for 40 gallon would be

6 L/F Serpae Tetras ---max size 3"
6 Black Phantom Tetra ---max size 2"
5 Cory Catfish ---max size 2.5-3"
1 Bristlenose Catfish ---max size 5" (usually)
4 Golden Wonder Killifish ---max size 4"
1-2 Dwarf Gouramis --- max size 3-4"

Would this be too much once they reach adult size? What should I cancel out if it wouldnt be appropriate

Would the killifish eat the Tetras once they reach max size? I want a colorful/bright top dwelling fish. I could cancel out the Killis and just have the Dwarf Gouramis but the space would still seem empty.

* On another note my Black Phantoms have been in the tank for about a week and they tend to hide, Im hoping that when I add 3 more that they will be out and about more. They seem to be holding their own with the Serpaes with no nipping. What do you think?

Any input would be appreciated.

I don't know much about the others and I'm not sure how much you know about cories so I'll put what I know and if you don't need it then someone else might :)

1. Cories are a bottom dwelling catfish
2. Cories have barbels so they should be put on a fine sand or very smooth gravel substrate (pea gravel is suggested)... but i personally use silica play sand (it's about $4 USD for about 50 lbs)
3. Cories are a shoaling fishy so they should be in shoals of 4+ of the SAME species (though more brings out their natural behavior).... I think there are some exceptions as some cories are the same species, but just different colors (ask the Corydora section, they know)
4. As with pretty much all fish, some species of corydora are hardier than others. For beginners, I would suggest C. Trilineatus (usually called julii, BUT THEY AREN'T :blink: ) because they are a sturdy little fish
5. Cories are a very peaceful, community fish, anything aggressive and you will never see them because they are hiding or worse...

And I'll add more if I remember it!

You are fine with that stocking. Your tetras are large enough to not end up as a snack for the golden wonder killies :rolleyes:

Just make sure though you have tight fitting lid for them as they are great jumpers (especially males when they are getting territorial over a female, or deciding who is the dominant one).

Yes, you might add more phantoms, although in principle 6 should be enough to make them shoal.

You are fine with that stocking. Your tetras are large enough to not end up as a snack for the golden wonder killies :rolleyes:

Just make sure though you have tight fitting lid for them as they are great jumpers (especially males when they are getting territorial over a female, or deciding who is the dominant one).

Yes, you might add more phantoms, although in principle 6 should be enough to make them shoal.

In a bigger tank I may add more of serpaes as well. The base amount would be 6 anyway for the phantom tetras. I was just testing a few out in my tank to make sure they wouldnt hide due to the Serpae Tetras being nippy. They are holding their own so Im pretty sure they are fine.

I had been told stories of adult/full grown killies eating smaller fish like guppies so I didnt want to make an eventual mistake down the line.

To the person about the cories, thank you for the info but I was already aware of their needs. They have polished gravel for a substate, I have 4 C. aeneus cories 2 Albino, 2 green/bronze. Mine never hide and tend to forage in the open areas of the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back