Tank history.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

john5748

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was toying with the idea of making some sort of chart that could go into my tanks cabinet or somewhere close to the tank so that work on the tank is not duplicated by other family members.

Something along the lines of what the water paramiters are (maybe in graph format that could also work as a record), date of testing, partial water changes, filter cleaning etc, I'm sure you get the idea by now :)

Does anyone else use some sort of similar system?

I have a spiral binder I use for a fish log. Water change amount & temp, tank & filter maintainance, purchase, sale, or switching of fish, any observations, they all go in there. With 12 tanks running at the moment, there is no way I would keep it all straight by memory.

Tolak

yep - a small diary... it lasted about 1 year before we gave up :)

now I use here to keep track of what fish we added and when :)
(I cant keep ne fish to myself :D)

i have just started mine, in an old book but im going to buy one soley for my fish , i log water params, water changes, wheter i vac the gravel or clean the filter.

oh yea and a list of all the fish i have and when i bought them

I created a spreadsheet in Excel and use separate sheets for each tank.

The columns are: Date, Time, Temp, pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, KH/GH, Actions and Observations

The last sheet includes info on new fish and plant purchases.

The columns are: Date Purchased, Location Purchased, Unit Cost, Quantity, Common Name, Scientific Name (genus & species), Group, Family, Observations/Notes, Lifespan, pH, Temperature, Diet & Max Size

You don't have to tell me how geeky this is. :nerd: My friends have already laughed at me. :lol:

Gazoo said:
I created a spreadsheet in Excel and use separate sheets for each tank.

The columns are: Date, Time, Temp, pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, KH/GH, Actions and Observations

The last sheet includes info on new fish and plant purchases.

The columns are: Date Purchased, Location Purchased, Unit Cost, Quantity, Common Name, Scientific Name (genus & species), Group, Family, Observations/Notes, Lifespan, pH, Temperature, Diet & Max Size

You don't have to tell me how geeky this is. :nerd: My friends have already laughed at me. :lol:
Gazoo that spreadsheet sounds great.

This is the sort of thing I want to do as well but I am no expert on Excel. I think it might be good if a graph could also be included as well which would show the history of water paramiters at a glance.

I don't know if this is possible though?

You guys have included a lot more than I thought about but it has given me something to get on with :/

I used to keep a log of everything i did, but i started to ignore it and then totally forgot about it.

If you can keep it up, it's an excellent idea to help diagnose problems and keep track of everything happening in and around your tank, but if your like me....:lol:

I like keeping it on paper. Something tells me that if the power goes out, there is going to be a busy fishroom with lots of log activity. No power, no puter.

Tolak

Most reactions

trending

Back