Tank Filled (water, Heater, Filter)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

malky

Reaction score
I have kept T fish before but not for about 14 years...Bought new tank with external flter (all new to me). Set it all up last Saturday and am eager to get some fish. Local shop will test the water!!

I have only got the tank, filter, heater, sand/gravel and rocks. I need a thermometer, vac (any suggetions)?

Should I clean the filter this week? Should I add carbon to filter?

Thanks all... :rolleyes:

hello malky, welcome to TFF
the most important bit of advice is don't touch your filter at all. it needs time to settle and grow the nitrifying bacteria that processes the fishes waste which will take at least 30 days (the nitrogen cycle)
thermometer you will need, i've got a glass one but you could if you want get a strip like one. most fish will do well at 76 degrees Fahrenheit
the vac i use is shop bought, a long tube onto which is a foot long piece of clear plastic tubing which is quite a bit wider than the end that goes in the bucket, with a narrower mouth. you just put this end in the tank and move it up and down vigorously and it starts siphoning its self
i never use carbon

hello malky, welcome to TFF
the most important bit of advice is don't touch your filter at all. it needs time to settle and grow the nitrifying bacteria that processes the fishes waste which will take at least 30 days (the nitrogen cycle)
thermometer you will need, i've got a glass one but you could if you want get a strip like one. most fish will do well at 76 degrees Fahrenheit
the vac i use is shop bought, a long tube onto which is a foot long piece of clear plastic tubing which is quite a bit wider than the end that goes in the bucket, with a narrower mouth. you just put this end in the tank and move it up and down vigorously and it starts siphoning its self
i never use carbon
Sounds like sound advice!

Thanks...Thinking about taking some water to the shop today....

Hi everyone, i am new here and new to keeping tropical fish. I just want a bit of advise. I've bought a tropical fish tank and everything is set up and has been running for almost a week. I didn't realise there was a 'pecking order' in the fish world and they are to be added in a certain order to the tank. So what i have done is found the fish i would like to keep but i don't know wether they will all live together ok and what order to put them in the tank?? I've just gone off colour, size and the ones that are listed as beginners fish that are also quite calm. Can anyone help me with what i have chose? Is there anything that shouldn't go with any of the fish? Here is what i have so far on my list:

yellow guppy, bumblebee shrimp, neon tetra, galaxy rasbora, threadfin rainbow.

Thanks everyone, i would really appreciate some advise.

Hi everyone, i am new here and new to keeping tropical fish. I just want a bit of advise. I've bought a tropical fish tank and everything is set up and has been running for almost a week. I didn't realise there was a 'pecking order' in the fish world and they are to be added in a certain order to the tank. So what i have done is found the fish i would like to keep but i don't know wether they will all live together ok and what order to put them in the tank?? I've just gone off colour, size and the ones that are listed as beginners fish that are also quite calm. Can anyone help me with what i have chose? Is there anything that shouldn't go with any of the fish? Here is what i have so far on my list:

yellow guppy, bumblebee shrimp, neon tetra, galaxy rasbora, threadfin rainbow.

Thanks everyone, i would really appreciate some advise.
The bumblebee shrimp may be eaten, i had 5 in a community tank with things like guppies and they were gone within the hour :(

hiya all..... may be a silly question but my fish tank seems to go green quite quick...how can i stop this...

Malky, have you cycled the tank? Have you heard anything about cycling?

If not, go to the beginners resource section, you should read the info on cycling before you think about adding any fish.

edit: just seen this is 3 years old!

hiya all..... may be a silly question but my fish tank seems to go green quite quick...how can i stop this...

Green is usually algae - is the water green or is there green on the surfaces of the tank such as gravel, glass and plants?

Algea is often caused by excess light, so making sure the tank is out of direct daylight and making sure you only have the lights on for 8-10 hours is a good start. If the light balance is OK, algae can be caused by too many nutrients in the water. These nutrients come from fish waste (poo and wee) and fish food, as well as sometimes dead fish and plants. You can reduce nutrients by reducing fish stock, doing more regular water changes, making sure you don't overfeed and adding more live plants.

Test your water for ammonia and make sure your tank isn't getting too much light. Also let us know how many fish you have in the tank, how big the tank is and how often you change the water.

Algae often builds up, even in healthy tanks. If it is surface algae, it's easy enough to scrub off with a clean sponge.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back